opinions on throttle body spacers / boosters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throttle body spacer? No. Just don't even...
Your money will be MUCH better spent on a Intake tube such as the Airair Jr. intake tube. Blackbear Performance did extensive testing on this an they not only determined that Throttle Body Spacers are a complete waste of money, they also determined that most cold air intake are a waste as well. The best thing is to keep the stock air filter box and replace only the restrictive factory tube with one such as the Airaid Jr that I just mentioned.

OP
OP
Erik G

Erik G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
already have that - and unfortunately I don't ever get to see anything black bear or Jenna do here, it's all on the block list at work because they use dropbox

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a helix spacer and a k&n intake. I like it.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tb spacers really don't do much as far as power in concerned. I used to have a bookmark for an email thread directly from air raid stating basically just that. The twist, helix, twirl whatever the maker wants to dub them do however help a little as far as mpg is concerned. During wot the air is moving too fast for a tb spacer to really effect the incoming air. During regular cruising where the air is moving slow enough to be effected it creates a better fuel mix thereby also creating a few extra numbers. Don't believe Thier sale tactics that it increases hp I mean who gives a crap about more power when your cruise control is set. However if your trying to gain a little extra mpg (driving a billboard on wheels who doesnt) give one a try. I suggest transdapt brand if they make one for your truck. Thier prices are way cheaper than the big brands and they do the same thing.

Reaction score
Have to believe if GM knew of a way to get better mpg and better hp with just designing the intake to stick the TB out another inch then they wouldve done it. I have heard they actually produced a little better numbers on old cars like when you spaced out the carb or the newly designed throttle bodies of the 80s to 90s but todays technology wouldnt leave out free hp and mpg when designing intakes.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^I have definitely noticed at minimum a better throttle response out of carburetor vehicles and Tbi vehicles. As far as mpg as I mentioned why would they leave it out I haven't the foggiest. I've used them by themselves on a 96 4.0 explorer, 94 302 f150, 94 burban Tbi 5.7 as well as a few others. Everything I've used a twist style on I've gotten .5-1 mpg better. And when I'm already starting in the 14-15 range on any of those vehicles anything helps.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Total only doing upgrades that are supposed to help mpg I had that Explorer pushing 21 mpg highway and 17-18 around town. The f150 I had doing 19mpg highway. The k2500 suburban I had up to 17 mpg highway but I sold that before I did much to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz