Opinions/experiences, 2" level tire size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeK1981

Reaction score
Sorry for the long post but i'm at a point where i need to make a decision on tire size and ive got it narrowed down, i just dont know how far i can go without a level. I know you guys have all been around the block on these questions and every truck is slightly different. I just want to hear what you guys would do, or have done in the past, and what your experiences were. I've got a 2017 suburban lt 4x4 that's currently all stock on the factory 18" wheels. I'd like it to be a little more level and have a bit more tire with a set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I'm looking at the fabtech 2" ring style spacers that go above the shocks as a possibility for a simple level that I could likely do myself. I'd like to go with the 275/70r18 E 125/122Q. In your opinions would these be likely to fit without rubbing on the stock 18" wheels and those spacers? Overall diameter is 33.19" by 10.98" on an 8" wheel, but the factory wheels are 8.5" so I'm not sure how much that would affect overall size. Im mainly looking for the tire height to increase vs the width but if i can get away with a little of both thats good too. Other tire size options I'm looking at are as follows:

265/70r18 E 124/121Q
32.87"
10.71"

275/65r18 E 123/120Q
32.09"
10.98"

Would either of those sizes fit without the level? Also there is the option of going with a passenger rated tire instead of the E rated. How much benefit in ride quality would actually be noticeable vs. How much would I lose in durability? Would you guys recommend this over an E rated for ride quality, or stick with the more durable E rated tire? Most of the driving will be my wife in town on pavement but i want to have decent off road capability if we need it, and we do have some pretty bad conditions occasionally in winter. Would these fit with no level? The passenger tire size is:

265/70r18-116S (or SL, not sure if there's a difference).
32.64"
10.71"

What would you guys do in this situation? The level isn't necessarily a requirement and I mainly need new tires. I dont have to have the 33's, some of these in the 32" range would be close enough, and still look and perform better than ones I got with the truck. As you can see I'm splitting hairs on a lot of these sizes as they're very close. Let me know what you guys think, or have done on your trucks and what you would do. I'm confident I could get the level spacers done myself. I'm mechanically inclined, although my experience is mainly engine work and basic maintenance like brakes and stuff. Never messed with suspension mods before.

OP
OP
M

MikeK1981

Reaction score
Cool, thanks guys! Any opinions on those other two sizes fitting without the level?

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, a leveling kit really does not offer any more room for tires than at the stock ride height. Where larger tires tend to rub (back side of the front wheel well openings), a leveling kit really does not offer much more clearance at that location, if any at all.

To help better understand what i am saying, with your vehicle parked on level ground turn the wheels a bit and see what type of clearance you have to the back side of the front fenders. Then, put a jack under the front of the vehicle and raise it a few inches. The clearance really does not change much at all.

With factory 285/45/22 size tires (with the oem wheels) on my wifes ‘16 denali there was hardly a finger width of clearance at the back side of the fenders when the tire was part way turned. After the leveling kit, it really wasnt any different.

Just some food for thought!

OP
OP
M

MikeK1981

Reaction score
In my opinion, a leveling kit really does not offer any more room for tires than at the stock ride height. Where larger tires tend to rub (back side of the front wheel well openings), a leveling kit really does not offer much more clearance at that location, if any at all.

To help better understand what i am saying, with your vehicle parked on level ground turn the wheels a bit and see what type of clearance you have to the back side of the front fenders. Then, put a jack under the front of the vehicle and raise it a few inches. The clearance really does not change much at all.

With factory 285/45/22 size tires (with the oem wheels) on my wifes ‘16 denali there was hardly a finger width of clearance at the back side of the fenders when the tire was part way turned. After the leveling kit, it really wasnt any different.

Just some food for thought!
Right, I gathered that from other posts on here. Most were slightly different situations than mine, but that's why I'm not opposed to skipping the lift and going slightly smaller if necessary. Sounds like I'll be ok with the 275/70 and the 2" level. That particular size would probably look funny without a level, even if it did just barely fit. Now I just need to know how big others have gone without the level, and which tire you guys would choose. E rated for durability, or passenger rated for comfort/lower cost? The tire size options are close enough that I can fine tune the size for either situation. Just don't want to order online and then have them not fit.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on an IFS front end, the level does not offer much in aid of clearance the way many think...like stated above. what fits in the wheel well at stock height is what will fit with the level. That said, possibly on a straight run, full bump situation...the level will keep the added tire height out of the fender above the tire, but most wont get a tall enough tire that is narrow enough to do that.

this theory of levels allowing the larger tire runs deep in the straight axle world also...problem, being the level makes those worse in most cases. the geometry of the front link arms makes the axle pull to the rear when at droop or a level is installed...this aids in making rear fender contact worse.
i can run a 37 x 12.5 on staock wheels with my ram 2500...add the level kit and it wants to hit the rear of the fender.

OP
OP
M

MikeK1981

Reaction score
on an IFS front end, the level does not offer much in aid of clearance the way many think...like stated above. what fits in the wheel well at stock height is what will fit with the level. That said, possibly on a straight run, full bump situation...the level will keep the added tire height out of the fender above the tire, but most wont get a tall enough tire that is narrow enough to do that.

this theory of levels allowing the larger tire runs deep in the straight axle world also...problem, being the level makes those worse in most cases. the geometry of the front link arms makes the axle pull to the rear when at droop or a level is installed...this aids in making rear fender contact worse.
i can run a 37 x 12.5 on staock wheels with my ram 2500...add the level kit and it wants to hit the rear of the fender.
Gotcha, the level would primarily for looks. That's why I'm not opposed to running one of the options in the 32" range and not doing the level. Some them are approaching 33 though and I'm concerned that's where I'm going to have rub that will get annoying. Would anything of the options under 33 with the width under 11 fit safely stock?

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, the level would primarily for looks. That's why I'm not opposed to running one of the options in the 32" range and not doing the level. Some them are approaching 33 though and I'm concerned that's where I'm going to have rub that will get annoying. Would anything of the options under 33 with the width under 11 fit safely stock?
I have seen many people post of pics of 33x12.5’s on the stock 22’s claiming they fit with no rub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne