Open Doug Thorley Headers & Broken Stock Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
I've always wanted to use Doug Thorley 4-2-1 headers. Everything I've ever read about header design touts a 4-2-1 header as the best thing for a daily driver that routinely goes through stop and go city driving. This design header is supposed to be great at increasing low-RPM torque and improving MPG...oh yeah...for all of you that don't care about that, lemme put it to you like this: they help you go faster.

The biggest problem with Doug Thorley headers is that they're very proud of them. They're made of mild steel and they're ceramic coated inside and outside...but they can't usually be had for less than $590. However, if you watch jegs.com closely enough you'll see that they will occasionally go on sale for $449 shipped. I do watch jegs.com closely, so I got what I consider to be a steal on these headers.

I also picked up some stage 8 locking header bolts and a set of Percy's Seal-4-Good Header Gaskets:
*) Doug Thorley 4-2-1 Headers: http://www.jegs.com/i/Doug+Thorley/702/310Y-1-C/10002/-1
*) Header Gaskets: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/php-66032/overview/
*) Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/stg-8900/overview/

WARNING: Do not believe what Doug Thorley tells you that the headers and y-pipe being a direct bolt in that requires no fabrication. For my 2004 Tahoe the y-pipe was ANYTHING but bolt-in. I even called Doug Thorley directly and directly asked them if the headers and y-pipe were a direct bolt in...they said 'yes'. I will forever wonder if they'll share any of the crack they were smoking when they came to this conclusion.

Let the fun begin:
20140401_205840.jpg

I was removing the stock exhaust manifolds from my 2004 Tahoe. The rear bolts on BOTH sides of the manifolds (closest to the firewall) snapped without much effort on my part. The others all came out fine. Based on what I've researched it's best to plan for this to happen instead of hoping that it doesn't. So tighten up your welding skills before you pull the exhaust manifolds off your ride.

After I removed the drive side exhaust manifold I snapped a photo of it. Here's a shot of the driver side bolt snapped off well below the surface of the cylinder head:

20140401_225428.jpg

I found it was easier for me to cut a spare bolt to be really short and then weld that on. I did the welding without removing anything from my truck...just remember to plug the other exhaust ports so that you don't get junk in them from welding. I was able to do the repair without removing the cylinder head and/or engine from my Tahoe:

20140401_232101.jpg

Once it cools enough from the welding you need to slowly work the bolt back and forth as you advance it out. Don't sweat it if you break the bolt head off that you just welded on because you can always weld it right back on:

20140401_232143.jpg

Once you extract the bolts you have a really cool story and a cool souvenir:

20140401_232811.jpg

Or, in my case, two really cool souvenirs:

20140401_233157.jpg

And yes, I did get Darth Vader to hold the bolts for me while I took a photographs.

Once I got the stock system off and the broken bolts removed I got the new headers bolted on and locked into place (thank you dear stage 8):

20140402_212826.jpg

20140402_212907.jpg

This is where I found out that the y-pipe that came with the kit would not fit and would not bolt up to the rest of the stock exhaust system. I quit working on this at 4:30am this morning only to get up and have the kids to school by 8:30am. I don't care what anyone says...but the best way to wake up is knowing that you get to drive a 6-speed Tahoe with OPEN HEADERS across San Antonio in the morning. While open headers is a beautiful sound the SAPD won't agree...and while I escaped any kind of citation or ticket today my luck won't hold out. So the first thing I did after I dropped the kids off at school was to go to an excellent exhaust shop:

20140402_094340.jpg

If you live near San Antonio, TX who needs custom exhaust work then do NOT hesitate to check out Option Muffler Shop. The main guy combined the Thorley y-pip and the end of the stock y-pipe:

20140402_211308.jpg

The y-pipe doesn't have catalytic converters. Other than that, and dealing with the fabrication to make them work, the kit is remarkable. I have only driven around town today but I keep noticing that the Tahoe has better power under 3000.

The two things to look out for are the driver-side header hitting on the body and the passenger header hitting on the heat shield that sits underneath the air conditioning equipment. I highly reccommned these headers. I'll be making a road trip this weekend and I'll post what my mileage is once that trip is over.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We are big proponents of Doug Thorleys and our regular price is less than Jegs'.

The 310Y-1-C is a direct bolt on system for 2008-2013 4.8L-5.3L vehicles and some 6.0L vehicles that have the 2.5" ball flange connector.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well atleast it looks like you got them installed. Nothing in life is ever easy if it was everyone would have it all.

OP
OP
D

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
We are big proponents of Doug Thorleys and our regular price is less than Jegs'.

The 310Y-1-C is a direct bolt on system for 2008-2013 4.8L-5.3L vehicles and some 6.0L vehicles that have the 2.5" ball flange connector.

Drat...I wish I'd have checked with you all before ordering from them. I'd have much rather have bought from a forum supporter. At least the kit being a direct bolt on for 2008-2013 explains the problem I had. :)

Well atleast it looks like you got them installed. Nothing in life is ever easy if it was everyone would have it all.

There's a quote that comes to mind...I may not get the wording exactly right, but it's something along the lines of "nothing easy to reach is worth having".

Chiggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice!

So are these better than a traditional long tube style set of headers?

Jenna are you offering special pricing for forum members?

My plans are a nice set of headers that actually add power (not shortys) cam comp 54-414-11, valvetrain upgrades along with a tune of course. I'll have to do everything at the same time and tune it once.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No special pricing really, but we can typically beat any price out there- we work direct with Doug Thorley.

Chiggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No special pricing really, but we can typically beat any price out there- we work direct with Doug Thorley.

Do they make a direct bolt on for an 05 or do I just buy the kit for the 08 and have the exhaust shop modify as needed?

OP
OP
D

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
Very nice!

So are these better than a traditional long tube style set of headers?

Jenna are you offering special pricing for forum members?

My plans are a nice set of headers that actually add power (not shortys) cam comp 54-414-11, valvetrain upgrades along with a tune of course. I'll have to do everything at the same time and tune it once.

For the kind of driving I do (highway cruising and stop & go city traffic) the 4-2-1 headers help out due to the scavenging affect and improving tq and hp in the low and middle RPM curve. If you really want to get deep into the topic then check out David Vizard's article Exhaust Science Demystified. If you want to get even deeper into performance Vizard has written several and very good books on topics such as cylinder head porting and improving engine performance. I own three of his books and I can't recommend his work strongly enough.

crazyikon86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there say they are made that each cyc pulse exits at the perfect timing. also i would advise anyone doing header install is to remove the spark plugs. cracked spark plugs suck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n