Onstar Remote Start Unlocking Problem - New Yukon XL Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ComoYukonXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, we just purchased a Yukon XL this past saturday and was messing with the GMC App to start the car, (assuming via Onstar) but when I go up to the running car, I have to grab my fob and hit the unlock button. I figured I could just touch the handle and it would unlock. Is this normal, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

camaroz2887

Reaction score
Perfectly normal. At least as far as I’ve ever heard don’t know about the new trucks though.
I live in NJ and we got a bunch of people in my area just walkin down the streets pulling handles til they get an unlocked car to steal belongings from. Or god forbid some down on his luck homeless guy finds a warm truck to snuggle in for a few moments. LMFAO
Either way you get he point tho.

And welcome to the forum btw

Edit: so sorry, did not see which forum this is in. Idk if the newer trucks have any kind of key fob sensors or what.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, we just purchased a Yukon XL this past saturday and was messing with the GMC App to start the car, (assuming via Onstar) but when I go up to the running car, I have to grab my fob and hit the unlock button. I figured I could just touch the handle and it would unlock. Is this normal, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

As long as the remote is in my pocket the door will unlock when I touch the handle.

Is that what you were asking?

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be correct, if the vehicle is already started.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DO you have the Keyless entry options on the vehicle? If so you may have to go into the settings and change your options. When I use the App to remote start my vehicle I can just walk up and push the button on the door handle and unlock my car. I do not need to use the FOB at all,