Onstar question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
08z71bgm

08z71bgm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read a post somewhere on this forum about it about a year ago. They said something about when you activate it, it will show up to Onstar as whatever vehicle it was pulled from (year/model)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I see. Thanks for the info. If you come across it let me know. Thanks.

Reaction score
Yeah, the MyGMC app allows me to lock/unlock, start/stop, panic (honk horn) with the key fob app, Has vehicle locate and shows you on a map where it is currently (you can also setup areas that will notify you if it leaves or enters into that area), and I can look up a Nav destination on my phone and send it to the vehicle, which will download it into the NAV so it's there next time I get in it.

I don't use any of it that much, except maybe the keyfob, but by the time I log in and the satellite contacts the vehicle and sends the signal I'm already at the vehicle, or close enough to use the actual key fob....lol

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I wanted to know if possible. Mine is an 08.
It can be swapped. But iirc from my research, late 04 or 05 was the switch to the new version. So yours should work.
Well, nevermind. Did a little looking, another update came in 09. (The addition of bluetooth)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell us more .. Is there a aftermarket for 2006 gmc yukon xl slt .

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
directed-viper 4g gps smart start & 5906v, glass sensor, tilt sensor. not cheap but much better security, full control via the phone app or pc (from anywhere), 1 mile 2-way feedback remote fob, gps tracking, digital fence. Has lots of options you can add a motion sensor and a speaker and have it warn anyone that even walks by it, roll up/down windows, or just about anything you could imagine via relays it has optional channels for those kinds of accessories
the only thing it doesn't do that onstar could is shut the vehicle down if they managed to circumvent the alarm which is dam near impossible without triggering something, if the alarm triggers then the car horn and outside siren and inside siren goes off, the fob sounds a alarm and vibrates, the phone app sounds a alarm, I get a text and a email (all at the same time), if I need navigation I just use wireless android auto which is all voice command thru a pioneer nex w8200
it's only now on the 2021's that they are finally getting wireless android/apple
that factory radio/nav was the first thing that I yanked out
I added the optional flashing interior led's which 99% of thieves will simply walk away from there looking for easy prey.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
had the same system on my 00 yukon xl, my 03 silverado had a more basic system, you can add this stuff to any vehicle, got tired of having my dvd headunit's ripped out which usually results in other things getting damaged twice I had to have the shifter fixed because they broke something inside $500 each time on top of having to replace a window and fix and replace wiring and get a new headunit. I think the dam cars are more secure than the house now lol

OP
OP
08z71bgm

08z71bgm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
had the same system on my 00 yukon xl, my 03 silverado had a more basic system, you can add this stuff to any vehicle, got tired of having my dvd headunit's ripped out which usually results in other things getting damaged twice I had to have the shifter fixed because they broke something inside $500 each time on top of having to replace a window and fix and replace wiring and get a new headunit. I think the dam cars are more secure than the house now lol
Cars are actually less secure than a house with advancing technology. New cars only use rfid now. Easily hackable with a raspberry pi and some coding. I suggest watching some videos on it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cars are actually less secure than a house with advancing technology. New cars only use rfid now. Easily hackable with a raspberry pi and some coding. I suggest watching some videos on it.
very aware, even though my 2018 does not use push to start I had the system upgraded anyway they are after these for the parts, there are ways though such as entering during a reset but that involves triggering the system or entering before the initial timeout but the chances of that happening would involve someone laying in prey waiting for the exact moment to strike and knowing what to do my cars are not 100k lambo's so the chances or running across a tweaker that smart are slim to none. the smart start protocol (internet connection) was hacked by macafee earlier this year and they informed viper and pandora who issued api fixes so that loop hole was closed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts