Onebad1983's 02 NBS Tahoe Slow Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Onebad1983

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
Trying to stay at my dad's shop after hours tomorrow to finally get the headers on. My dad started telling me that there's a chance it won't change the sound at all. If that's the case then I pretty much bought these for nothing. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to stay at my dad's shop after hours tomorrow to finally get the headers on. My dad started telling me that there's a chance it won't change the sound at all. If that's the case then I pretty much bought these for nothing. Can anyone enlighten me on this?
It's bound to change at least a little bit. The reason he's saying that, though, is the manifolds on these late model engines are very similar to that of shorty headers from the factory. So it'll change the tone at least a little bit but I would not go into it expecting it to sound like a race car or anything. Since you've bought them I'd go ahead and install them. Then next, look at a good sounding muffler based on what you want the Tahoe to sound like. If you want a little more tone but nothing too aggressive go with a Magnaflow 12589. If you want something that'll be deep and throaty with an aggressive sound get one of the Black Widow mufflers.

OP
OP
Onebad1983

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
It's bound to change at least a little bit. The reason he's saying that, though, is the manifolds on these late model engines are very similar to that of shorty headers from the factory. So it'll change the tone at least a little bit but I would not go into it expecting it to sound like a race car or anything. Since you've bought them I'd go ahead and install them. Then next, look at a good sounding muffler based on what you want the Tahoe to sound like. If you want a little more tone but nothing too aggressive go with a Magnaflow 12589. If you want something that'll be deep and throaty with an aggressive sound get one of the Black Widow mufflers.
I'm looking into the Venom series from black widow, as previously stated on GMFS. But I like the aggressive sound so we'll just have to see what happens. Should I go true duals or just stay with the single inlet and dual exit muffler?

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's going to sound different up front. Headers are thinner material than the stock crap. It probably won't change any out back.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Were you able to get these installed last weekend like you thought you'd be able to, @Onebad1983 ?

OP
OP
Onebad1983

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
Sorry I've been so inactive lately everyone. Work has been killing me. But anyways not that much to update on. I did finally get the headers on and I'm definitely happy with the difference. It got the raspiness out of the tone of the exhaust and it's a lot deeper and doesn't sound like a shop fan at high RPMS and that's what I was hoping to get rid of with the headers. Of course, as everyone dreads with headers on these trucks, the manifold bolt closest to the firewall on the driver's side was broken off, and we couldn't drill it out. But my dad thinks I'm about to have to pull the motor soon to find an oil leak. It sucks, because this is my only vehicle, so I'd have to borrow another vehicle while this one was down. But this was just a little update to post something. I'll post a sound clip as soon as I get the chance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01