One tire blew...replace all 4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

broken08

Reaction score
I know, I know. "you have to replace all 4 tires". These are my super expensive studded nokian tires. They have about 5000 miles on them. I just can't imagine the rear diff can't make up for a couple 16ths of an inch without exploding. If that were the case why does it even have a spare tire (which thankfully was in perfect shape today.)
I don't see the AWD system on this POS truck to be so advanced that it would really be THAT picky, so I'm wondering if there is a spec for HOW different the tires can be. Obviously If I drive once around the block on new tires I can replace one tire. So how about twice? Or 100 miles? 1000? 5000? There is a line, so where is it?
This is a $1400 set of tires that still has two winter seasons left. I'm looking for miracles, I know. But i don't want to put another dime in to this awful vehicle. I just need to keep driving it another couple years until I'm at least even on payments since it lost $15,000 in value in two years while simultaneously needing a complete new long block engine as well as about $6000 in non engine repairs. 130,000 miles.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 5000 miles I would just purchase one tire. What is the size difference? Also, tirerack can shave a new tire down to match the others.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5,000 miles isn't much, but how many years? If they're much over about 4 years old, I'd be considering replacing the whole set.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d replace two at most, but I can’t see the harm in trying replacing just one (1) and monitoring closely for 250 miles to check for any unwanted/unintended consequences.

OP
OP
B

broken08

Reaction score
But side thought; these vehicles come with a spare tire. If it is that serious, then you technically couldn't use a spare

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a serious puncture to one tire last year on my awd Denali, by dumb luck the tire shop a mile from me had a used identical tire, I eyeballed it, asked how much? he said $40 installed
done... never had a problem it was visibly better on tread by a little bit but I didn't have any issue's at all.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But side thought; these vehicles come with a spare tire. If it is that serious, then you technically couldn't use a spare
I think the spares are for temporary use, and I’m not sure what type of coupling the transfer case uses. But, I can see it building a lot of heat, trying to keep up with the different size tires and damaging it over time. I had a tire go bad on my car, I ended up buying an ebay tire with a newer date and the same thread depth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick