Old remote cassette player removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boz86

Reaction score
This is a stone cold simple project but I'm going to throw it out there to help anyone tired of looking at an old remote cassette player. It cost me $10 for the part from Amazon, took 25 minutes, and fits perfect. It would have taken 10 minutes at most if I'd had a 7mm (9/32") socket vice using a box end wrench inside the trim.

Process: Lift the lower cubby door, remove the two 7mm screws, lift the trim piece up. Remove old player by pushing down on two levers on either side of it. Disconnect the player's wire harness at the back. Slide new cubby hole in until it clicks. Put trim down and then tighten screws. $10 and 10 minutes. YouTube has a couple of videos. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DDYNUC0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cassette OEM Yukon.jpg
cassette removed Yukon.jpg
cubbyhole installed Yukon.jpg

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a stone cold simple project but I'm going to throw it out there to help anyone tired of looking at an old remote cassette player. It cost me $10 for the part from Amazon, took 25 minutes, and fits perfect. It would have taken 10 minutes at most if I'd had a 7mm (9/32") socket vice using a box end wrench inside the trim.

Process: Lift the lower cubby door, remove the two 7mm screws, lift the trim piece up. Remove old player by pushing down on two levers on either side of it. Disconnect the player's wire harness at the back. Slide new cubby hole in until it clicks. Put trim down and then tighten screws. $10 and 10 minutes. YouTube has a couple of videos. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DDYNUC0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 345363
View attachment 345364
View attachment 345365
So what are you going to play your 1980s cassettes with now?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was an 8-track guy so it's not a big loss :)
That was the 1970s! When we were kids my buddy had a big 8-track collection and would only buy cars with them in it. I had a few but switched to cassettes as that was what my cars had in them. Even our '99 Montana had a cassette player, talk about a legacy product!

OP
OP
Boz86

Boz86

Reaction score
That was the 1970s! When we were kids my buddy had a big 8-track collection and would only buy cars with them in it. I had a few but switched to cassettes as that was what my cars had in them. Even our '99 Montana had a cassette player, talk about a legacy product!
I used 8 tracks for a while because they were easy to fast forward. Don't really miss them or cassettes...

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Had a Pioneer 8-Track recorder in the 70s and my big brother and I made our own tapes. My '72 Monte Carlo had a factory AM 8-Track radio. Good times!