Oil usage question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just pulling in the drive at home this evening and the DIC on the Escalade flashed a low oil level warning. Parked in the garage and checked the dipstick and it wasn't even registering. Oil life is at 38% with about 4,000 miles since the last oil change. I was planning to change it soon as I usually change oil every 3,000-4,000 miles. In the past when I have changed the oil I had noticed that it seemed to be about 1-2 quarts short of 8 when I drained it, but hadn't really measured it or given it much thought. My 2005 Tahoe, which holds 6 quarts, ever since new has always been close to a quart down at each oil change, but it never went so low like the Escalade today.

So, my question is to other 6.2 owners, is yours using this much oil between changes or is this unusual? The Escalade is currently at about 28,000 miles on the odometer.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just pulling in the drive at home this evening and the DIC on the Escalade flashed a low oil level warning. Parked in the garage and checked the dipstick and it wasn't even registering. Oil life is at 38% with about 4,000 miles since the last oil change. I was planning to change it soon as I usually change oil every 3,000-4,000 miles. In the past when I have changed the oil I had noticed that it seemed to be about 1-2 quarts short of 8 when I drained it, but hadn't really measured it or given it much thought. My 2005 Tahoe, which holds 6 quarts, ever since new has always been close to a quart down at each oil change, but it never went so low like the Escalade today.

So, my question is to other 6.2 owners, is yours using this much oil between changes or is this unusual? The Escalade is currently at about 28,000 miles on the odometer.
Do you change your oil or do you have a shop do it?

How often do you check your oil level?
If you check it regularly, was this a sudden loss or a gradual loss over time?

If you had a shop change it, and you didn’t check it right after and periodically afterwards, it’s possible that they didn’t put the proper amount of oil in it and it was low to begin.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually do my oil changes myself, although I have let the Cadillac dealer that I bought it from do a couple of them. I have not generally checked the level between changes, and haven't recently, but when I did it was fine. I'm not sure if it's something sudden yet, although I haven't noticed any smoke or drips on the garage floor. However, as I said, I have noticed every oil change was at least a quart down from full when I drained it.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually do my oil changes myself, although I have let the Cadillac dealer that I bought it from do a couple of them. I have not generally checked the level between changes, and haven't recently, but when I did it was fine. I'm not sure if it's something sudden yet, although I haven't noticed any smoke or drips on the garage floor. However, as I said, I have noticed every oil change was at least a quart down from full when I drained it.
What is your typical oil change interval? Being a quart down after 5000 miles doesn’t sound horrible. Others with that generation vehicle will need to chime in, but before I got too worried, I’d get the oil changed, check the level right away to confirm that you’re starting with the proper amount, and then every other time you get gas and see what the rate of consumption is.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good advice. When possible, give the oil time to drain back down into the pan after driving. I check mine after it's been sitting in the garage or on level ground for a while.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually check my oil cold. But I think in this case I'd head to the dealer and have them change it and do an oil consumption test where they check and track the usage. These motors do have new tech piston ring designs and they sure had problems with that early on but seems to be pretty reliable these days.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, normally I would wait for it to settle before checking it, but given the low oil warning I wanted to see where it was. Turns out 1 quart brought it back to full, so apparently the low level sensor is set to about -1 quart. I guess I jumped the gun a little worrying about it before checking it out completely. Sort of a waste putting that quart in since I am changing it soon, but I wanted to see how low it was.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I the only person who checks the oil at every fuel fill? Maybe it’s that old ‘84 Cavalier I drove back in the day that was more a “fill up the oil and check the gas” rig…but, I check it every time. Great habit to be in, as you start to learn your engine’s characteristics.

My 6.2 Denali has had oil changes at 3600 and 7600 miles. Both times was not down more than a pint off of full. If you have low oil warning on, and getting no oil on the stick, you are way low…get it in to dealer right away…warranty gets a little touchy if you let it get low on oil…that’s a user maintenance item…be kind of like saying it doesn’t run when you let it run out of fuel.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only person who checks the oil at every fuel fill?
Your answer is yes.

I barely see anyone at the gas pumps checking their oil from Miami-NYC. Every once in awhile I will see a old beat up neglected P.O.S. that the owner is checking it.

I never check mine between changes. Every so often I check mine right before I change it. It is always full and still looks decent at 5K miles.

To each their own.

jforb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends what I'm driving, but I've had a few old ones lately that needed oil more often than they needed gas. But the late models...no, I never check them when getting gas. I might before a long trip. They generally have had to have over 200k miles before they start using oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts