Oil Pump Question - **

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to replace the oil pump and o-ring on my 07 (300k) and wondered about the high output oil pump option considering mileage.

Any experience with those?

Thanks,
Tim

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to replace the oil pump and o-ring on my 07 (300k) and wondered about the high output oil pump option considering mileage.

Thanks,
Tim

If it were me, I would follow Melling's advice and go with the M295HV (recommendation by them for high mileage engines), cause they know more about this stuff than me. :)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks,
Tim

The factory pump is a "high volume" pump compared to the non-AFM LS engines. If your current pressures are good, then you don't need to go crazy with an overly high output pump as this would just put undue stress on the aged system. Go with what Melling recommends. Don't forget the new timing set (at least the chain) and tensioner.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys - appreciate the input! I'll change the chain and tensioner while i am in there. The oil pressure has been dropping over the last several months. it used to be about 25-30 at idle and 40-50 at 1500 rpm. now its, 20 at idle and 35-38 at 1500. I assume the pick up seal is weak and proabably the pump as well considering it has 300k on it. I changed out the pressure sensor and the screen was clean and didn't change the pressure reading much, maybe a little higher with the new sensor.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks,
Tim
Your original pump was the M295 or M355. I reckon that your truck has an iron block LY5 or LMG. The aluminum block motors got the M365 which pumps 1/3 more volume per revolution and runs at a lower pressure.

Required reading:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper