Oil Pressure Suddenly @ 80psi !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am suspect of the legitimacy of amazons ac delco sensors.
1477 ratings and 0 reviews, first seller listed has 3 reviews.
Manages to sell them for $20 while rock auto is $34 and gmpartsdirect is $45

Amazon is THE shopping choice. I guess counterfeit parts are very possible. And there's a lot of gullible people out there. I must confess I'm prolly amongst their ranks. Assuming if it looks like a duck... I have a hard time believing dishonesty.

RaiderRodney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazon is THE shopping choice. I guess counterfeit parts are very possible. And there's a lot of gullible people out there. I must confess I'm prolly amongst their ranks. Assuming if it looks like a duck... I have a hard time believing dishonesty.

I've had delivered two brand new "AC Delco" alternators from Rock Auto in the past two weeks with the correct part number on both the part and boxes. Both were different and still not even close to the alternator I ordered. Ordering anything lately has become a huge tossup and more times than it should be, a huge pain in the ass.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am suspect of the legitimacy of amazons ac delco sensors.
1477 ratings and 0 reviews, first seller listed has 3 reviews.
Manages to sell them for $20 while rock auto is $34 and gmpartsdirect is $45

Yea, I suspect hanky panky when I see something like cheaper for GM/AC part at Amazon than RA does not pass the smell test. I have bought a lot of GM parts lately, over $2500 worth, from RA, and depending on how quick I want the part I look at Amazon with the exact same part number and pic looks the same and every time, the part is more expensive at Amazon because there is shipping fees built right in to that price. I buy shit paper at Amazon and parts at RA.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never received the wrong parts from Rock Auto. I know they're Chinese knockoffs. Usually just buy things like window regulators and struts for vehicles I'm not keeping long. My wife pushes me to find things on Amazon because she's got the Prime Membership and probably stock in the company! I may have finally convinced her to only use AC Delco parts in her Yukon but now how do you guarantee they're not counterfeit? GMParts.com?

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never received the wrong parts from Rock Auto. I know they're Chinese knockoffs. Usually just buy things like window regulators and struts for vehicles I'm not keeping long. My wife pushes me to find things on Amazon because she's got the Prime Membership and probably stock in the company! I may have finally convinced her to only use AC Delco parts in her Yukon but now how do you guarantee they're not counterfeit? GMParts.com?

I buy Delco sensors from Summit since Amazon Warehouse bins don't separate items by seller...if they have the same part number, they all go in the same bin, regardless of where it came from. I'll pay more for a bit more peace of mind.

Terry Peters

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct area for this but if not I guess I'll find out. The wife just came in and told me the Oil Pressure Gauge is reading 80 psi on her 05 Yukon! New sender (AC Delco) and maybe 3 yrs ago a new instrument cluster (Dorman?) What's the should I check 1st? What's easiest? I'm thinking it's the gauge. More like hoping really. 3rd sender in 4yrs! And they are no fun. I'd rather change the whole cluster.
Not sure if this is the correct area for this but if not I guess I'll find out. The wife just came in and told me the Oil Pressure Gauge is reading 80 psi on her 05 Yukon! New sender (AC Delco) and maybe 3 yrs ago a new instrument cluster (Dorman?) What's the should I check 1st? What's easiest? I'm thinking it's the gauge. More like hoping really. 3rd sender in 4yrs! And they are no fun. I'd rather change the whole cluster.

Terry Peters

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In the past and on a 2003 Buick, with the key off, I have taken a computer hard drive magnet with the flat side toward the gauge [ with a layer of cloth on it for no scratches on the gauge face ] and turned the problem dial back to zero.
It might be worth the effort.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the past and on a 2003 Buick, with the key off, I have taken a computer hard drive magnet with the flat side toward the gauge [ with a layer of cloth on it for no scratches on the gauge face ] and turned the problem dial back to zero.
It might be worth the effort.

Interesting. The gauge isn't stuck. When the key is off it drops to zero. Key on engine off it goes to 80psi same as when it's running.

Bill Barnes

Reaction score
Groan. NOT what I wanted to hear. LOL! Why do these eat those sensors? I went with AC Delco hoping it would be the last one since I heard Dormans always failed. If I could I'd go with a relocation kit. But, I'd still have to contort my hands and lay across the motor!

I also have a 2005 Yukon XL. At around 80K, the speedometer started acting up. At 120K, the oil pressure gage pegged off the scale. By that time two light bulbs had failed as well. I sent the cluster off to Dr. Speedometer ( Fred Burge). They replaced all of the micro stepper motors. I had them change the gage faces to white, change to LEDs, and add the transmission temperature gage. Everything works like new, for about 30K miles now. In my case, the oil pressure gage had failed, not the sender.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a 2005 Yukon XL. At around 80K, the speedometer started acting up. At 120K, the oil pressure gage pegged off the scale. By that time two light bulbs had failed as well. I sent the cluster off to Dr. Speedometer ( Fred Burge). They replaced all of the micro stepper motors. I had them change the gage faces to white, change to LEDs, and add the transmission temperature gage. Everything works like new, for about 30K miles now. In my case, the oil pressure gage had failed, not the sender.

Both have failed and been replaced in the past. From what I hear, a bad sender will either peg the gauge or read zero. So the question is, what's the symptoms of a bad gauge?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT