Oil pressure issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frankenstien

Reaction score
Not sure if this was the best place to put this but here goes.

I have a 2005 yukon xl denali, wheni start the truck the oil pressure gauge goes straight to 80 and stays there until the vehicle is turned off, it even does it when the key is just in the on position.

is there an easy to tell if it is the oil sending unit or the gauge?

OP
OP
F

frankenstien

Reaction score
well looked at it more today, and a little closer. when i turn the key to the on position the gauge pins at 80, when i start it, the gauge sweeps down to 0 then immediatly back to 80 in sync with the rest of the gauges.

i pulled the connector off, started the truck, the oil gauge doesnt do anything now, just sits at 0(not too suprised) but are all of the gauges supposed to sweep when the key is turned on? or will it not sweep with the sensor unplugged?

foxracer025

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be the stepper motor for that gauge. They are known to go bad.

Sent from smackatalk

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going with oil pressure sender. If it was a gauge it would usually stay at one position.

BTW, you posted this in the 2015 section.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have moved this to the correct section, OP :waytogo:

OP
OP
F

frankenstien

Reaction score
Here's one thing that just crossed my mind, the oil pressure gauge on my duramax doesn't sweep with the rest of them, when you turn the key to the on position, all the gauges go to where they belong and the oil sits just below 0(the cluster has been replaced before) when I start the engine, then it goes to whatever the motor is putting out for oil pressure. So if the Yukon is spiking to 80 and holding the whole time key on and engine started and running, I have no soils proof of this theory, just got off work and was thinking, sound logical to anyone else?

is it possible to test the sensor? is it just a resistance reading? almost to the point im going to just take a stab in the dark

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the sender to me. Scan tool or something like HPTuners could confirm.

jcevans7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having the same issues with my oil pressure being at 80 psi constant. Just replaced the sender and it's good now. This brings me to the next part. Spent more time trying to recover the old sensor cause I dropped it, couldn't feel for it anymore. It's very tight. Should I be ok to drive?

I imange I'll hit some bumpy roads and it will hopefully jar lose wind out on the road somewhere. But if I'm missing something and this causes damage please chime in yah or nah.

ClarkSmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
..I am having a issue as well. I have a '05 Yukon and the oil pressure gauge at start up goes to just above 40 then has the RPM's go down so does the pressure. It will go to 0 and then you here the valves starting to tick, then as I drive it the pressure will rise to just under 40 and the ticking goes away. I have been told the oil pump is good. I am seriously confused. ANY help would be appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J2PDeweese