Oil pan woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

InspectahDEck

Reaction score
I have been recently replacing various points of suspected oil leaks on my 05 yukon 6.0L, including valve covers, oil pressure sensor, cam sensor, and now recently I did the oil pan gasket and pick up tube O ring.

A couple days after replacing the oil pan gasket and o ring, I received a check oil level warning. I drove it around a for the next week or so and it never dissappeared, and confirmed daily the proper amount of oil was being used. I decided to order a new oil level sensor, and upon removing the old oil level sensor, I found part of the sensor missing. See attached screenshots. Assuming this piece broke off inside the oil pan gasket, is it fine to leave it in there?

And of course another issue popped up. When draining the oil when swapping the new oil level sensor, the oil was a bit milky. I found a piece of plastic underneath my car just 2 days ago, and wasn't sure where it came from. I found where the piece attaches to, and it is the starter opening cover. It appears the top of this piece broke off, likely during oil pan gasket replacement. I just ordered the new piece here, but is it possible that water could of mixed with oil through this now exposed area? Attaching additions screenshots

Also there is still oil leaking from above the starter, for which I will be replacing the crank sensor next.

Attachments

• 20230118_141305.jpg
    20230118_141305.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 51OWfLrRnlS.jpg
    51OWfLrRnlS.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230118_143053.jpg
    20230118_143053.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230118_142022.jpg
    20230118_142022.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said you did the oil pan gasket, when you had the oil pan off, did you clean out any debris in the oil pan? Did you clean out the oil pickup screen?

Back to your question, the problem isnt the plastic piece on the end, its the rubber piece in front of that, and the small spring inside of it.

I think I would be looking at dropping the oil pan again, verify the missing parts/pieces, and put it back together.

Did you remember to replace the pickup tube O-Ring? A known failure point for the LS engines. Something to think about while your in there.

OP
OP
I

InspectahDEck

Reaction score
Yes I cleaned the oil pan thoroughly and also the pickup screen. Is the reason for taking it back apart is because the small spring could get stuck in the pickup tube?

Also yes I did replace the pickup tube O ring. I had a bad oil pressure sensor, and after replacing that I was able to see I did infact have low oil pressure (~20-25), and replaced the O ring while I was in there.

OP
OP
I

InspectahDEck

Reaction score
I did put in a new Felpro intake manifold gasket while working on other various things, could be the culprit?

OP
OP
I

InspectahDEck

Reaction score
I just hooked up a pressure tester to the cooling system, will report back if I have a loss of pressure or not. I have drove around 350 miles since and have not noticed any contaminents in the oil yet again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Butterfly7