Oil pan replacement, now transmission woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 Yukon Denali.

Finally got around to replacing my cracked oil pan courtesy of my PO. I could not finish it all in one night so I pushed the truck in with the front differential dropped. This was a mistake, I should have thrown the bolts in and nuts on the passenger side just to keep it in line. I had to do a lot of prying and now need a new passenger side CV axle. I also started the truck with the front end raised to check the pan area for leaks before buttoning it up.

After completing everything besides my CV axle, I proceeded to move the Yukon back to my side of the garage. Now the transmission will not go into gear. There also sounds like a tapping coming from the pan area. Furthermore, when I shift back to park there is a grinding noise that goes away after maybe 2 seconds. Lastly, I pushed it back into the garage in park. There is plenty of fluid in the transmission.

Tomorrow evening I am going to check front drive shaft, and shift cable. I am really praying I didn't mess up the trans pump by starting it with the front end raised. Will pop the transmission cooler line at the radiator to see if fluid is pumping.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could have happened?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 Yukon Denali.

Finally got around to replacing my cracked oil pan courtesy of my PO. I could not finish it all in one night so I pushed the truck in with the front differential dropped. This was a mistake, I should have thrown the bolts in and nuts on the passenger side just to keep it in line. I had to do a lot of prying and now need a new passenger side CV axle. I also started the truck with the front end raised to check the pan area for leaks before buttoning it up.

After completing everything besides my CV axle, I proceeded to move the Yukon back to my side of the garage. Now the transmission will not go into gear. There also sounds like a tapping coming from the pan area. Furthermore, when I shift back to park there is a grinding noise that goes away after maybe 2 seconds. Lastly, I pushed it back into the garage in park. There is plenty of fluid in the transmission.

Tomorrow evening I am going to check front drive shaft, and shift cable. I am really praying I didn't mess up the trans pump by starting it with the front end raised. Will pop the transmission cooler line at the radiator to see if fluid is pumping.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could have happened?

You might have damaged the parking lot actuator in the transmission, parking pawl and or shift cables on the side, might just be bent a little. Sorry, don't know much more. Were you using a loader to move it around?

OP
OP
live2pull

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a new half shaft in her this morning and now she moves again. There is some definite clatter coming from under her though. Looks like the transfer case will be getting a fluid change. Darn. This might be a pricey foul up.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news, noise was just the plastic inspection plate passenger side rubbing on the flywheel. All is well in my world!
I had that happen by just wiping down the underside of the motor and cracked that plastic shield. You would never think that small plastic shield would make that kind of a ticking noise.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coops924