Oil on spark plugs :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removed today spark plug to see how bad it is and saw a oil on a spark plug thread, not like crazy amount but still w made me worry now.
Any recommendations?
d42f7c4d974821dc4cbb88482024dbac.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
On start up or when you accel, like to pass someone, do you see blue smoke? That would be signs of valve guides and seals being needed. I assume since you were surprised by this that you don't see blue smoke all the time, like at idle, that would indicate a ring problem. You did not say what engine or mileage on it either.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a leak from the valve cover? Do you see oil on the outside of the engine? What’s meant by “see how bad it is “? Did you suspect a problem?

OP
OP
Tim10

Tim10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a leak from the valve cover? Do you see oil on the outside of the engine? What’s meant by “see how bad it is “? Did you suspect a problem?

Some oil on a cover, right where this spark plug located.
I’m going to check spark plugs on a right side and see if they oily. After discovering oily spark plug there is definitely something wrong :(
Valve cover gasket in first place

83ec6b4ac58e920ce543c84311c3fc89.jpg

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, why was just one plug removed for inspection? Curious to see close up pics of all of them and what mileage is on them?

OP
OP
Tim10

Tim10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On start up or when you accel, like to pass someone, do you see blue smoke? That would be signs of valve guides and seals being needed. I assume since you were surprised by this that you don't see blue smoke all the time, like at idle, that would indicate a ring problem. You did not say what engine or mileage on it either.

Don’t see blue smoke at all,just white when starting up and then it’s disappears. But exhaust smell is very strong, like very rich , like when too much fuel is burning.
it’s a 2016 5.3 V8 engine
Has 101xxx miles and about 13xxx engine hours

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If is running too "rich" then you should see black smoke, when it is extreme, and see a black build up on the plugs. I would also expect codes related to that for likely O2 sensor problems and cat problems and fuel system problems.

OP
OP
Tim10

Tim10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, why was just one plug removed for inspection? Curious to see close up pics of all of them and what mileage is on them?

It was very quick check yesterday, didn’t had too much time for that, now I’m getting ready to remove rest of them. 101xxx miles with 13xxx engine hours

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tim10

Tim10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If is running too "rich" then you should see black smoke, when it is extreme, and see a black build up on the plugs. I would also expect codes related to that for likely O2 sensor problems and cat problems and fuel system problems.

When running diagnostics related to emission test
It shows EGR or VVT system check fail
And EVAP check fail , that’s it, no more trouble codes

OP
OP
Tim10

Tim10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked rest of the spark plugs and turns out
On a driver side plug 1, 2,3 oily. Number 4 looks ok.
On a passenger side all of them (except 8) are fine. Dry no oil sign (pic)
Valve cover gasket problem?

4308d1f580ed6262f484a8482f21643a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick