Oil leak...were from?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
Guys I got a steady drip of oil leaking from somewere. I just replaced the oil pan gasket and timing chain with its gasket too. Did this thinking it was coming from one of those 2 spots. Its not leaking from there. Is it the oil presure switch or something? Help me here my truck is sitting untill I can figure this out. thanks

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't tell you what the most common places on the truck that leak are, but I can tell you how I located them on some of my other vehicles. Park your truck away from your driveway on something you don't mind getting grease all over and spray the areas in question with a degreaser and maybe brake cleaner to get everything nice and clean under there...then just watch closely to see where it's coming from.

Also, it may help others diagnose the problem if you were a little more specific as to where the oil drips were...like up front close to the radiator or on the side. Is it running down on top of the crossmember or the skid plate?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
a common issue on this model is rear portion of intake manifold gasket...simple fix, just need to pull intake.

OP
OP
Biggwaukegan

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
im gonna dig into it first thing in the morning. I had a couple tranny lines on my 86 cutlass I had to address today. Im gonna degrease it and try and pinpoint it. I will post some pics and more info on were I think its coming from asap. Thanks alot for the quick responses fellas:Handshake:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oil leaks are a pain to find and address, driving it slings all over so it could be from one side, but look deceiving on other side. Like a house with a water leak. It's almost never, right above the spot you see it on the ceiling :)

TahoeJim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only leak my Hoe's had is the output shaft (aka, rear drive shaft) seal on the transfer case. The oil drippings collected on the cross member and then dripped down from there.

Easy fix for $25.00 and you just have to pull the rear driveshaft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travisryan78