Oil filter seized, destroyed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012 GMC Yukon Denali XL. Always do my own oil changes; 15 minute affair at most. Probably done it close to a hundred times. Never, ever, ever had a problem...until today.

For some reason, the oil filter seized and would not come off. I use a Mobil 1, M113A. Has always served me well. I put the oil wrench on, and the damn thing would not budge. The oil filter wrench broke trying to get it off. Tried the screwdriver method, that made things worse and simply ripped the filter in half. I basically had to gut the entire thing, get all the way up to the top ring, and then finagle some insane way to get it off the truck's oil screw. All this done having the equivalent amount of space as a carton of juice.

Needless to say, it took me 9 hours. After beating on the ring, trying to get it to turn unsuccessfully for about 8 hours, I finally drilled some bolts into the holes in the top part of the oil filter, and used some lock pliers to basically twist it off. That took me an hour. I was home free after that.

What the hell happened, and how can I prevent this in the future? I bought a new oil filter strap wrench. I also hand tightened the new filter when installing: no more wrenching it on.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons to use the K&N oil filter , it has the big nut welded on the end of the filter for easy changes. Added benefit is also excellent filtration. Use the HP-2011 it's the longer filter .

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had some difficult ones to get off but you get the prize. I cannot understand why it would have happened. I have never used the K&N oil filter like FrankU talked about but you might consider it. Hand tighten is the best safe guard.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
2nd on filters w/ the nut welded on. I’ve had it occur since on other cars and often wondered if there was something at the filter factory that could be done to make it a nasty buggar to remove.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons to use the K&N oil filter , it has the big nut welded on the end of the filter for easy changes. Added benefit is also excellent filtration. Use the HP-2011 it's the longer filter .
Will the K&N HP-2011 really work? I looked it up on K&N's site and it says that the HP-1017 is the one that works for my truck.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I have a nylon strap wrench for just such occasions. The strap is 2-3” wide and heavy duty, with a 1/2” drive. You can use that bad boy with a 1/2” breaker bar and the filter WILL come off. It’s my countermeasure to the gorillas who install factory filters on some vehicles.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes , works on my Tahoe.
Without turning this into a filter thread, is there a reason I'd go with the longer one? Thanks to you guys I'm definitely switching to K&N for the next go around, not dealing with this mess ever again.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The longer filter will filter more until the filter clogs up and go's into bypass.

Best of luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boom313