Oil Change Leads to $2000+ In Rec Service Items

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow they stuck it to yah
thats happened several times to me in the past i find a descent shop thats cheap and i keep coming back then 10 visits down the road BAM they stick to me in the rear without KY

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
From what I can see, nobody got stuck anywhere. He was handed a list. He gets to chose at that point where he goes from there. He comes here for opinions. gets good advice. If they did the work and demanded payment without his approval then yes KY should be supplied at that point. As I stated earlier, if no list is supplied and something happens after leaving the shop then the shop gets blamed, if a list is supplied and customer gets to make a decision then all is ok but if a shop supplies a list that the customer was not expecting then the shop gets blamed till someone gets involved and then after careful thought, an informed decision can be made. I have yet to hear of any arm twisting here.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with Ron.

The shop is a business, they are trying to increase revenue by pointing out some items that, in their opinion, should be addressed. Every shop I've ever been to does this. It's not that they were trying to screw anyone over, it's just that those of us who take time to join forums like this and learn how to do things ourselves tend to understand how much markup there is in parts and labor.

To us, it's OP getting screwed. To 98% of the public, it's the going rate for repairs.

It all depends on perspective.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no im not saying they tried to screw anyone over or do anything shady
but id definatly get sticker shock if i went in for a oil change and they handed me a 2000 dollar list of repairs that need to be done

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with Ron.

The shop is a business, they are trying to increase revenue by pointing out some items that, in their opinion, should be addressed. Every shop I've ever been to does this. It's not that they were trying to screw anyone over, it's just that those of us who take time to join forums like this and learn how to do things ourselves tend to understand how much markup there is in parts and labor.

To us, it's OP getting screwed. To 98% of the public, it's the going rate for repairs.

It all depends on perspective.

x2.

I own a repair shop and I get so sick and tired of everybody saying we are ripping them off when we give them the grocery list their POS needs.

Happens to me literally EVERY DAY. My favorite is when the wife/gf brings the car in then the loser husband/bf calls back complaining.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
no im not saying they tried to screw anyone over or do anything shady
but id definatly get sticker shock if i went in for a oil change and they handed me a 2000 dollar list of repairs that need to be done

Yep sticker shock for sure but make an informed decision for best results.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

x2.

I own a repair shop and I get so sick and tired of everybody saying we are ripping them off when we give them the grocery list their POS needs.

Happens to me literally EVERY DAY. My favorite is when the wife/gf brings the car in then the loser husband/bf calls back complaining.

Hosse, I ran shops and am right there with you. I would never not tell the customer and always wanted to show them if I could. It is always their choice at that point. Sometimes people just don't know what is happening with their vehicle and since the wear is a little at a time, mostly, instead of on/off or good/bad, they get used to the way the vehicle is acting and don't feel the difference till it is fixed and they can then feel a difference. I too have had the husband/boyfriend call me and accuse me of something nefarious but I let them vent and explained how I talked to the wife/girlfriend and always offer to show the guy if needed and tell them to get a second opinion if needed. I always qualified that last part by saying I had to show them what I saw if another shop did the back stab and say something wasn't like what I said. I hated shops that tried to get business that way.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Now now. No one really thinks parts last forever but as a former service manager I always brought the customer out and showed them what I saw and told them what was a "need now even if I didn't do it" and a recommended eventually" item. Starting out in that business back in 1976 I saw lots of crap parts because vehicles were designed to last short periods of time to help with new car sales. Now the parts are better and the vehicle quality is better. There is a market for less expensive less quality parts and lots of people use them and have the problems that go along with them.

So you are saying "Planned obsolescence" is a myth?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

It's very common practice these days with automakers of all ranges. It boild down to big business. You don't pay to have a part last 20 years when the warranty you offer runs out in 3 years. That costs those businesses big $$$$$. I'm not saying your cam is going to shit the bed after your warranty on your new Nissan is up but I will bet you that the starter/alternator/tie-rod ends, ball-joints and other "wear parts" that used to last 10+ years wil only last you 5 at best.

I looked at a Dodge today that came in for a check engine light. Cause was an evap hose broken at the canister. I wrote down a whole list of shit that needed to be fixed ASAP.

Leaking Water Pump
RF outer tie rod end
RF inner tie ride end
Idler arm
Pitman arm
Rear main seal laking like a siv
Front crank seal leaking.
Both front axle output shafts leaking Class 2.
T-Case rear output shaft seal leaking badly.

Did they fix anything? No. That car will be back probably next month for another "I have an oil leak somewhere". I'll do the same diag and the customer will leave. He/shge will do this same thing forever until the car dies.

It's a huge waste of time for me to rediagnose the same shit everytime but at the same time, the customer at least knows what is going on with their car.

This car was a 2008 Dodge R1500.

We will tell you the truth and not sugarcoat it. If it needs to be fixed, it needs to be fixed.

Problem is when the customer ponders it over and adds another degree to the repair level.

"Does it really need to be fixed?"

or

"Does it really REALLY need to be fixed?"

I cant help you there. Your finances are your own. All I can tell you is what needs attention now or soon.

HUMBL57

AC Guru
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP, there have been several thoughts and opinions. What have you ended up doing or are you going to do?

OP
OP
R

rayfinkle5

Reaction score
OP, there have been several thoughts and opinions. What have you ended up doing or are you going to do?

Well first, I never expressed the opinion that I felt I was getting screwed. Goodyear has a business to run and I wasn't at all surprised by them using the oil change as an opportunity to find other business. Seems like good business to me. I was suprised by the list, however, because I thought it was a well maintained vehicle when I took it over from family.

I travel a lot for work and haven't had a lot of time lately. My plan is to take it over to a guy I trust and get his opinion on what needs to be done. If he says something needs to be done than I trust that it does. He's a good and honest guy. I'm still debating on what to do with the autoride. Trying to research if I can keep it and get a 2-3" lift. I'm also scouring craigslist for newer OEM 17" and 18" wheels to replace my 16's.

Didn't mean to start a debate. I thought this forum would be a good place to share my list and get feedback. Thanks to all who shared opinions.

OP
OP
R

rayfinkle5

Reaction score
Forgot to update...

Took it to someone I trust and had the A/C and serpentine belts replaced, the transmission tail stock seal replaced and a tune up done. He told me it did not require a brake flush, rear shocks or new valve cover gaskets.

Completed work cost me $530.52

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700