Oil Change Leads to $2000+ In Rec Service Items

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rayfinkle5

Reaction score
Just took my 02 Tahoe into my local Goodyear tire for an oil change and they greeted my return with over $2000 worth of recommended service. Here is what made their list:

1. Valve cover gaskets. No notes for this item... $204.99
2. Rear tail shaft seal. Current seal is "damp"... $129.99
3. A/C Belt. Current belt is showing cracks... $110.00
4. Rear Shocks. Original and "soft". Fortunately or unfortunately I have the autoride system... $1002.00
5. Brake flush. No notes... $99.00
6. Tune-up. No notes... $216.00
7. Two front tires. No notes... $353.01

I took over this Tahoe from family not too long ago. I knew the front tires were going to need to be replaced shortly but the rest is all news to me. Everything seems to run okay, including the autoride, which I hear operating every time I start the vehicle. I think the biggest decision I have to make now is whether or not to replace the autoride shocks. I know there are cheaper alternatives to OEM but it seems like most bypass this system once it needs parts replaced. I am on the fence because the compressor still works. Not sure if staying with it though will lead to more i$$ues down the road.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you plan to change over to the bypass shocks and do away with the auto ride then don't worry about it. Replace when NEED to not when suggested.

The brake fluid flush is a maintenance item because brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture and then darkens as it looses the ability to absorb and handle heat in the brake system usage.

The tires you knew about. They just pointed it out.

Valve cover gaskets leak but is it a leak where you see it getting things below them wet with oil and drips on the ground or is it just seepage?

Tail shaft seal is damp but not leaking. No worries yet.

If a/c belt is showing cracks then should replace before it breaks but it will get worse eventually. Are they just small surface cracks or are they large cracks all the way through the ribs?

Tune up? How many miles since last tune parts replacement. That again is a maintenance item and you need to do the research as to when it was last done and get back here.

The list you got is normal for big business shops like Goodyear and Firestone. That is why I always ran small mom and pop shops. I tried Goodyear once and walked out after 2 weeks when I saw what their business practices were.

By the way, did they break it all down as "recommended" & "needed" items?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HAHAHAH! did you tell them to go sit and spin on a 3' tall cactus?
omg I hope so!
I would have shit my self laughing so hard then had a heart attack from laughing even more cause I pooped my self laughing!

Just clean the engine bay and go from there. Simple green and some water based armor all type chemical. I use silkshine dressing, get it from amazon along with the gallon of simple green concentrate. this is a 2 hour job requiring a pressure washer and time.. If you want details, PM me. your engine bay will look like mine and everyone elses here. Click for pic.

Valve cover gaskets take a whopping 30 mins to change.
Hell i wouldnt even change them as much as remove them, clean them with isoprople alcohol along with mating surface on head and valve cover and reinstalled.. they are rubber and unless cracked never need replacing.
heck even if they do leak, a 3$ tube of red RTV, and skinning the gaskets with it.. like paper thin amount will reseal them..

Tail shaft seal is a hour job at most. mark posistion of driveshaft in relation to rear end snout or tail shaft section of trans.
pop rear ujoint loose. slip drive shaft out. use flat head screw driver to yank out old seal.. lube and tap in new seal with anything heavy. re instal driveshaft...

Ac belt can be a ***** to do alone, its way down there and the tensioners on the belts like to whack ya face with socket wrench if had slips off when removing or installing. but its easy.

Rear shocks, unless its sagging or autoride is out. its working as intended and they are morons.

Brake flush, well yea.. pay to do that, why not, its messy as hell and you do in fact need a machine to bleed the ABS module.
They are just going by the dark color of the fluid in the resivour.. Ignore it.

Tune up.. now they are fishing for $$$.
7$ can of maf cleaner. 8$ can of B-12 cleans the maf and Throttle body..
Plugs, well opinions vary here. I run NGK Tr6, but your stock so NGK TR5's will work perfect. they cost a whopping 12$ and takes 20-45 mins to change.

Tires.. self explanatory..

Tell that shop thanks for the list and go home.

Last edited:

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Just took my 02 Tahoe into my local Goodyear tire for an oil change and they greeted my return with over $2000 worth of recommended service. Here is what made their list:

1. Valve cover gaskets. No notes for this item... $204.99
2. Rear tail shaft seal. Current seal is "damp"... $129.99
3. A/C Belt. Current belt is showing cracks... $110.00
4. Rear Shocks. Original and "soft". Fortunately or unfortunately I have the autoride system... $1002.00
5. Brake flush. No notes... $99.00
6. Tune-up. No notes... $216.00
7. Two front tires. No notes... $353.01

I took over this Tahoe from family not too long ago. I knew the front tires were going to need to be replaced shortly but the rest is all news to me. Everything seems to run okay, including the autoride, which I hear operating every time I start the vehicle. I think the biggest decision I have to make now is whether or not to replace the autoride shocks. I know there are cheaper alternatives to OEM but it seems like most bypass this system once it needs parts replaced. I am on the fence because the compressor still works. Not sure if staying with it though will lead to more i$$ues down the road.

1. If you like a clean engine and the ability to find the source of future leaks quickly, do them.

2. If it's not dripping, move on.

3. Change it. If it comes apart and lodges itself into your larger serpinetine belt and throws it off, you will lose PS, waterpump!!!, etc. I've seen belts destroy wiring harbesses pretty badly as well. $$$ to repair.

4: Unless you have $$$ ditch the air suspension.

5. If it's dark, it's dirty and full of moisture. Ask for a test strip. (http://www.gwrauto.com/stripdip.htm)

6. Tune up is a no brainer. Plugs, wires, PCV, Air filter at a minimum if you had a P030X code and the plugs are worn. I usually throw in a FI /Top End cleaning at no charge. (http://www.terraclean.net/news.php).

7. Well, you know about that.

None of that stuff is uncommon although I'd ask to see the things they are talking about while it is on the lift so you can see for yourself. As for the tune up, ask to see a plug or whatever reason led them to recommend it.

Last edited:

Red_Raider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the items can be done by yourself with a little know how and the time. I would never play that much for some of the things they recommended to be done. I just bought a new tailshaft seal for under $6 plus free 2 day shipping with prime on Amazon.

As far as the belts go, I would just do them both while you're in there. The serpentine belts has to come off anyways to gain access to the ac belt. Again I picked up both from $40-$45 off of Amazon.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
was the service writer named Ben Dover?

It's a 2002 Tahoe, not a 2012 or even a 2013. The truck is 13 years old. It probably needs ALL of that. LOL

Why people thgink parts last forever is beyond me. Parts these days are engineered only to last till a bit over the warranty period with normal wear/usage. Nothing more.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's a 2002 Tahoe, not a 2012 or even a 2013. The truck is 13 years old. It probably needs ALL of that. LOL

Why people thgink parts last forever is beyond me. Parts these days are engineered only to last till a bit over the warranty period with normal wear/usage. Nothing more.

Now now. No one really thinks parts last forever but as a former service manager I always brought the customer out and showed them what I saw and told them what was a "need now even if I didn't do it" and a recommended eventually" item. Starting out in that business back in 1976 I saw lots of crap parts because vehicles were designed to last short periods of time to help with new car sales. Now the parts are better and the vehicle quality is better. There is a market for less expensive less quality parts and lots of people use them and have the problems that go along with them.

Thank God the OP can ask us what we think. Lots of experience on here and great information source. An estimate like that should have been broken down and he even knew he needed tires. I would have been mad at the shop for not pointing out at least the tires. How many times have you heard of a person just leaving a shop recently and having a vehicle problem and then pointing the finger at that shop for not warning them of an impending problem. Everyone likes to blame the "other guy". Damn if you do and damn if you don't. :poker:

SlowD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do people get so bent out of shape when you take a vehicle into a big named shop Goodyear/Firestone etc for an oil change. First off the rich get richer and poor get well blah blah blah.
Techs at these places are required to inspect and recommend services whether it be preventive maintenance or required.
It is up to the service guy to verify recommended services based on a quick visual inspection to deter a ****** tech from ripping off customers.

I enjoy when a customer comes in to my shop and I require a ball joint replacement on a vehicle that came in for an oil change because the socket is about to break free, I then hear yea right you guys are trying to rip me off go **** yourselves and that same vehicle now comes back on a tow truck because the driver almost killed himself and others when it broke.
This has happened 4 times in 7 years and another that i love is when a CV axle is clicking loudly but the customer refuses to replace it and it breaks free, same outcome but a lot more expensive to repair.

Moral of the story is if you cannot fix the vehicle yourself then yes you are going to get ***** in shop rates BUT its better than killing yourself or others because your ego is too big.

To the op obviously nothing on that list except for tires which you are aware of is required. If you ever think you are being ripped off ask to see the vehicle on the lift and speak with the tech as to why he is recommending these items along with a visual inspection and play it by ear. If he is not stumbling over his words and appears professional then yes he is probably honest otherwise get your car the hell out of there. :)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't think he ever said he felt like he might be getting ripped off but he was definitely surprised with the list. He wanted our opinion as to a possible rip off. It is smartest to always make an informed decision and by coming here he is getting help to do that. Your best bet is to find a shop that you can TRUST. Get with friends that can recommend someone they trust. A family member maybe knows a shop. Have them introduce you to that shop/tech. That personal connection helps with the fact that the shop/tech do not want to jeopardize the existing relationship with your friend/relative so the meeting and further work should go well. Show them that list and ask to be shown what they think after they inspect. If you find a doctor or lawyer or cook or bartender or anyone you trust you don't go anywhere else. The same goes for shops/techs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts