Oil and filter recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I'm sure it would be fine, Amsoil and Red-Line use Group IV based oils, they are the best from what I've red, Royal Purple too.

I don't remember Nate, it took many hours of searching and only bits and pieces were gleaned, could very well be they were just advertising the best and they run the same with 30 micron particles. I did and do see a difference in oil pressure and the flow ratings are much more for the K&N. Much more filter media in the K&N cans, seen youtube videos with both cut open.

I'm going to have to do some digging. You've got me looking at different oil and now different filters! You're rocking my boat, James! Lol

OP
OP
Nap73

Nap73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Full synthetic Supertech 10w30 and a K&N HP2011 filter. 235k on my 09 2500 6.0.

5k oil change intervals and I never have more than a couple ounces in my catch can.

Why 10w30 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Nap73

Nap73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why 10w30 ?

What are you running in your diffs , transfer case & trans ?

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I've thought about the filter thing the last few times you've mentioned it. Wouldn't lower pressure mean the "better" filter?
Pressure is read post-filter.

If you consider the filter as a restriction in the loop, and that the total pressure is a sum of each point of pressure drop:

Suppose theoretically that you have 50psi off your pump. 5psi drop from the filter would net 45 psi usable pressure after the filter - what your sending unit sees.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Pressure is read post-filter.

If you consider the filter as a restriction in the loop, and that the total pressure is a sum of each point of pressure drop:

Suppose theoretically that you have 50psi off your pump. 5psi drop from the filter would net 45 psi usable pressure after the filter - what your sending unit sees.

That's my point. The "better" or lower resolution filter should yield higher resistance and therefore a lower pressure reading at the gauge, no?

bfourman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why 10w30 ?

What are you running in your diffs , transfer case & trans ?

This last time of 10w30 was an experiment to see if it resulted in better cold oil pressure. It didn't, still 40-45 lbs cold and 25ish hot idle.

Front diff and t'case are unknown, both levels were good and fluid have been clean since I bought it a year ago. Likely will change over the winter. 80w90 for the front and AC Delco autotrak fluid for the t'case.

Trans is same story but it will be changed with a filter this winter with Service Pro Global Full Synthetic ATF.

Rear diff is generic dino 80w90 changed when I did the rear wheel seal this spring. 14b specs don't call for anything special.

I'm solidly in the "oil is oil" camp when it comes to fluids. Brand doesn't matter, they all meet the same spec. I have used Supertech or Harvest King (Rural King house brand) oils in all my vehicles for years with no ill effects. Make your own decisions and don't flame those that don't agree. Unless they use Fram filters lol.

/soapbox

bfourman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additionally this Suburban is the only vehicle I have ever used premium filters on. Historically I run Supertech filters because they use a metal "cage" vs most others; AC Delco included, that use plastic. Folks on here suggested the K&N so I gave it a shot. Results showed a slight hot idle increase in oil pressure so I have continued to use the long 2011 filter. The nut on the bottom is a contributing factor also.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using the Wix 57045 XP for a while now.. The 57045 too.
IT's the same threads/etc as the 57060 but longer. So it's holds a little more oil and has a little more filter area.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wix Filters are simply the best. Fram, the worst.

Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum have the highest shear numbers in oil tests.

The quality of oils we have are so much better than 20 years ago. Even the Wally world Supertech Synthetic is great protection.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wix Filters are simply the best. Fram, the worst.

Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum have the highest shear numbers in oil tests.

The quality of oils we have are so much better than 20 years ago. Even the Wally world Supertech Synthetic is great protection.

I disagree Roger, Mobil was a better oil ten years ago, it was a Group IV based oil until then. What ASTM numbers are you referencing for shear numbers?

As for oil filters, Wix flows about the same as Mobil's EP filters which is about 10-12 gallons per minute versus 16 GPM for K&N. Wix advertises a 21 micron rating, K&N, about half that. I noticed a definite drop in oil pressure with the M1 EP filters versus the K&N. Other than that, I reckon it's rivet counting and not such a big deal.

Edit: Ok, jogged my memory about those HTHS numbers and ASTM numbers. Unfortunately, those numbers have eluded me for Shell's Rotella Gas Truck and the ACDelco oil. If anyone finds them, please post!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879