OEM vs replica rims?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So looking at getting some replica 22” rims. Not a fan of the ones come on high country I think they look like hub caps LOL. Are the replicas good quality? I’m in michigan, they won’t rust or flake in the winter from salt? I won’t be changing these in winter I’ll use them year round...

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure oem gm wheels are made in China so probably no different than Chinese replicas. Or you could look on CL or Facebook marketplace. I see tons of gm wheels for sale on those sights.

Or if you’re not in a big hurry you can get killer deals during GM’s year end sales. I priced out a set of oem 22’s and with discounts they were only $1650

OP
OP
Banks22

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure oem gm wheels are made in China so probably no different than Chinese replicas. Or you could look on CL or Facebook marketplace. I see tons of gm wheels for sale on those sights.

Or if you’re not in a big hurry you can get killer deals during GM’s year end sales. I priced out a set of oem 22’s and with discounts they were only $1650
The only OEM available Chevy rims are the snowflakes and they’re $2100 with 20% off. I’m nervous to get replicas in case they rust or flake. I have option to trade for OEM 22” polished rims for $950. That’s my best option right now but I’m gona wait a bit....and yes what isn’t from China lol

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only OEM available Chevy rims are the snowflakes and they’re $2100 with 20% off. I’m nervous to get replicas in case they rust or flake. I have option to trade for OEM 22” polished rims for $950. That’s my best option right now but I’m gona wait a bit....and yes what isn’t from China lol
$2100 with tires or just wheels? So I’m at about $1900 for my aftermarket wheels (rims,tires,and install) . They’ve seen 2 PA winters with road salt and almost 2 years old. No peeling or noticeable differences from OEM in my opinion…. However I don’t know anyone who has these wheels in OEM so if anyone spots any differences. Feel free to let me know

Also they’re not clean in this pic. Actually the more I look this is really bad pic lol the rain drops look like imperfections and the dirt really distracts how clean they really are.

3E0D82D1-7687-4EE1-A06C-9E0374DDC804.jpeg

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So looking at getting some replica 22” rims. Not a fan of the ones come on high country I think they look like hub caps LOL. Are the replicas good quality? I’m in michigan, they won’t rust or flake in the winter from salt? I won’t be changing these in winter I’ll use them year round...
I used to think OEM wheels were forged and some super high quality wheels. To the contrary, the OEM wheels are probably produced in the same Chinese factory as the Replica wheels. I have had replica wheels in the past on different vehicles and have never had an issue with the finish on the wheels, especially if they are powder coated. I can't speak to quality of the chrome work on replicas because I have never had a set. But from my perspective, the quality of the wheels is likely the exact same as the OEM's. You just pay more to get that little GM embossed logo on the back of the wheel...

OP
OP
Banks22

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$2100 with tires or just wheels? So I’m at about $1900 for my aftermarket wheels (rims,tires,and install) . They’ve seen 2 PA winters with road salt and almost 2 years old. No peeling or noticeable differences from OEM in my opinion…. However I don’t know anyone who has these wheels in OEM so if anyone spots any differences. Feel free to let me know

Also they’re not clean in this pic. Actually the more I look this is really bad pic lol the rain drops look like imperfections and the dirt really distracts how clean they really are.

View attachment 370216
The 22” chrome snowflakes from Chevy.com were $2100 just rims. I got quoted a guy near Detroit $2600 for 22” chrome replicas with new tires, sensors installed. I thought he was a little high, they do a lot of work there tho and have a lot of good reviews. I’m almost rather leaning towards finding replica rims and run those in summer and run the stock in winter...going to keep searching...$1900 is a good deal on those

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 22” chrome snowflakes from Chevy.com were $2100 just rims. I got quoted a guy near Detroit $2600 for 22” chrome replicas with new tires, sensors installed. I thought he was a little high, they do a lot of work there tho and have a lot of good reviews. I’m almost rather leaning towards finding replica rims and run those in summer and run the stock in winter...going to keep searching...$1900 is a good deal on those
Tires play a big factor. Ask what kind of tires he’s offering. I got some cheap but good reviewed tires. So far almost 2 years and the tires are still good and feel good on the road but only about 10k miles on them.

I pieced it all together myself. Ordered sensors from rock auto. Wheels from eBay. Tires from simple tire and paid a shop to mount. So I did some leg work and I bought before the major spike in prices for everything.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No need to be concerned with the quality of replicas vs OEM. Like @R32driver stated they’re all cast in China; OEM, aftermarket, and replicas.

I can assure you that GM OEM wheels do not have any sort of magical coating on them that prevents rust and corrosion. I have had just as much experience with failing wheel finishes on GM OEM wheels as I have had with replicas and other aftermarket brands; With more issues on the finish of GM OEM wheels. I’ll also add that my experience with warranty claims due to finish etc in the aftermarket or replica brands is significantly easier and better than trying to accomplish anything in that regard at a dealership.

They’re not special. The only people that think they’re special are GM and their dealerships with the $ they try to sell them for.

You’re not going to get anything made in USA unless you’re willing to step up to a forged wheel or some sort of “hybrid forged” or flow form forged type of wheel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Banks22

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires play a big factor. Ask what kind of tires he’s offering. I got some cheap but good reviewed tires. So far almost 2 years and the tires are still good and feel good on the road but only about 10k miles on them.

I pieced it all together myself. Ordered sensors from rock auto. Wheels from eBay. Tires from simple tire and paid a shop to mount. So I did some leg work and I bought before the major spike in prices for everything.
$700 vercelli tires, he said they are comparable to the Bridgestone alenzas that come stock

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$700 vercelli tires, he said they are comparable to the Bridgestone alenzas that come stock
Not from experience but if I’m not mistaken I don’t think anyone on here likes the Bridgestones lol. There’s numerous wheel post that cover the subject of tires on here

And to back track a little. Most people wouldn’t agree with my cheap tire purchase either… lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727