OEM Trailer Brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kurt24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have seen some other threads but others don't seem to fit in my situation. We have a 2021 Tahoe that did not have the trailer brake controller installed. However, I can clearly see the harness in the proper location, ready to be added. I purchased the OEM brake controller online and have 2 questions. Do I need to buy a new trim piece with an opening for the brake controller? Should it just be plug and play or do I need to have Chevy program it? A lot of others seem to not have the harness in place but I do... So this should be simple..... Right?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have seen some other threads but others don't seem to fit in my situation. We have a 2021 Tahoe that did not have the trailer brake controller installed. However, I can clearly see the harness in the proper location, ready to be added. I purchased the OEM brake controller online and have 2 questions. Do I need to buy a new trim piece with an opening for the brake controller? Should it just be plug and play or do I need to have Chevy program it? A lot of others seem to not have the harness in place but I do... So this should be simple..... Right?
I seem to remember a guy with a pickup truck of your generation saying it was plug and play. Double check with a search over at the GM-Trucks forum.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be plug and play for a purchased OEM brake controller functionally, but it won’t necessarily have all the software/camera features that you get with Max Tow.

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was doing the research on whether or not to buy a MAX Tow package Yukon I spent a lot of time researching this. Everything I read said you couldn't add the factory controller because that controller is integrated via software into the dash so you can see the trailer gain, etc on the dashboard and without that software you would have no idea what your gain control was set at. I was told you needed an aftermarket controller that mounts near the radio similar to the one pictured below. This one is offered on the GM website for adding on a brake controller. I'd call the a dealer and see what they say, but based on the month+ of research I did, the controller you have will not function properly. Aftermarket brake controllers should be plug and play like this one but are not integrated into the DIC which is where the factory brake controller is going to have problems without the software.

Edit: May be worth just going under the dash and plugging it to see what pops up on the DIC when its connected.

1657737403976.png

OP
OP
K

kurt24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I was doing the research on whether or not to buy a MAX Tow package Yukon I spent a lot of time researching this. Everything I read said you couldn't add the factory controller because that controller is integrated via software into the dash so you can see the trailer gain, etc on the dashboard and without that software you would have no idea what your gain control was set at. I was told you needed an aftermarket controller that mounts near the radio similar to the one pictured below. This one is offered on the GM website for adding on a brake controller. I'd call the a dealer and see what they say, but based on the month+ of research I did, the controller you have will not function properly. Aftermarket brake controllers should be plug and play like this one but are not integrated into the DIC which is where the factory brake controller is going to have problems without the software.

Edit: May be worth just going under the dash and plugging it to see what pops up on the DIC when its connected.

View attachment 375064
I called 3 dealers. 1 told me it may need to be programmed but he didn't sound sir of what I was even talking about. The other 2 said plug and play. Well I plugged it in today and nothing seems to be working... No lights on the controller and nothing pops up on the display... Seems less plug and play than desired...

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called 3 dealers. 1 told me it may need to be programmed but he didn't sound sir of what I was even talking about. The other 2 said plug and play. Well I plugged it in today and nothing seems to be working... No lights on the controller and nothing pops up on the display... Seems less plug and play than desired...
May need a fuse installed? Possibly a reprogram? Not sure..check to see if fuse 63 in the underhood fuse block is installed:
1657807524146.png

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Plug your VIN in at the link above and see if there is a programming option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Turbokon