Octane question for BB tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texastoad

Reaction score
I have a 09 yukon 5.3L flex fuel motor...I have signed up for a BB tune in Houston in March. I normally run the 87 octane gas in my Yuk...is that ok for the tune. Should I be running the Higher octane gas? I would think I should do the tune with the 87 octane since thats what I run all the time...Ive had no issues running the lower octane so far

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you run 87 now and choose to run 87 going forward that's fine. Justin can tune to fit your needs and wants. :waytogo: You'll love how your Yukon performs once tuned!!

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You "can" run 87, but there is probably some pinging/detonation going on. For your engine compression, a minimum of 89 is recommended.

You can be tuned for what best suits you, but since you are getting an AutoCal, you can get a tune for the higher octane should you decide to run it.

I would recommend you run a few tanks of 89 and see if you notice a difference. You should see a peppier response as well as better MPGs.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get it tuned for premium fuel and both your and your vehicle will love it ;)
Best bang for your buck IMO

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should only run higher octance gas if the manufacter recommends or youve added forced induction otherwise your wasting your money
the technical reason is higher octane gas is for engines with compression ratios above 10.5:1 typically. so if you have a compression ration above that
higher octane doesnt not mean better it has a higher flashpoint then regular gas.
that engine has a 9.9:1 compression ratio regular is just fine

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n