o2 sensor help: NYS Inspection time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay a little info. when i bought the truck form day one it has had a P0161 Heated sensor circuit malfunction ( bank 2, sensor 2)trouble code. before i purchased a new sensor i went under the truck and probed the harness for power. i had 11.5 volts on the pink wire and i had ground.ordered the sensor which is bosch (not cheap shit). installed the sensor and now it is throwing both a P0161 and P0141(heated sensor circuit malfunction Bank 1, Sensor 2) code. it never threw the P0141 code before ever. cleared it a week ago and light stayed off for 187 miles. recleared it yesterday and it only stayed off for 53 miles. it is throwing the P0141 and P0161 code

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
sounds like there is a damaged wire somewhere. trace it up as far as you can. possibly melted somewhere causing a short....check fuses as well

OP
OP
black95

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just check all fuses and why all of a sudden it throws the other code

OP
OP
black95

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no it is for the back the front has a flat four wire plug and the back has a square four wire plug

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
Did you check for damaged wires?... you could have two bad o2 sensors out of the box

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you have a way to clear the code? I would do that and see if it comes back. Both my rear O2 sensors had a heater issue, I replaced one and have not had a code since

OP
OP
black95

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no i havent checked for damaged wires yet i figured i cleard that when i had 11.5 volts and ground at the plug, but i will test them again tomorrow.

i have a way to clear the code.i have cleared it three timesbut to no avail it comes back, i did only replace the one maybe i should just replace the other

thank you i will play with it more tomorrow

BluHoe96

Reaction score
Do we have two rear sensors? I was under the impression that there was only one rear right between the muffler and the midpipe flange? If there are two, maybe you should try switching the two and see what code comes up?

I also vote for tracing the wire. I know you said you had voltage at the time you checked, but there could be a section of the wire that may have melted from the heat of the exhaust, or engine and causing an intermittent connection that's throwing your code.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melsayed