Now what? Play in the steering wheel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ericshup

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster!

Purchased a great 98 Yukon SLE 4WD (Stock, 138k) in January and I am trying to tighten up the play in my steering. I have replaced the Pitman Arm, Idler Arm, and the Steering Speed Sensor. These have made a considerable difference in the handling of my truck, but I still have some play left in the wheel.

It's really noticeable on the highway and even worse because I am stationed in Oklahoma (high winds). Any suggestions on what I should look at and or change next? sway bar, bushings, tie rods?

shup

19Yukon97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tighten the nut on the top of steering gear box. My steering wheel had alot of play in too... the gears move apart after a long while... fixed mine. steering wheel feels great now!

big boy toy chevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok thanks guys ........any ideas on how to get the steering back tight this truck is pain to drive its all over the road......was told the steering gearbox needed to be replaced $400+ idler arm and upper ball joint $200+ I can do the work just need to know what parts to replace

19Yukon97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try tightening the gear box. theres a nut on top... its actually got a nut with a allen head screw in it. tighten to the left i believe. drive it for atleast 10 miles or so then do it again if your not happy with the results. if it doesnt fix then go ahead and replace everything...

99 Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced about everything, then replaced the intermediate shaft and solved the issue. $192 at dealer, couldn't find a suitable one aftermarket. The "rag joint" on mine was worn out, well heck, everything was worn out after 300k miles.. hehe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz