Not exactly the best day...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
After the past few weeks of cold weather the Hoe didn't want fire right up in the mornings like it use to. I figured a set of plugs, cap and rotor would do the trick. So I braved the 20 something degree wind chill. After finding oil around the distributor I also found the number one cylinder plug to have a green tinge to it also... I knew this day would cone and haven't been looking forward to it. I've got a head leak. At least its a very small leak. I'm not losing fluid or misfiring... yet. So I guess the question is "what now?"... sell? Rebuild?.... or 383?

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
i would hope its not cracked yet :/ I agree to the money thing, if you have some cash to blow on a crate motor or getting the thing rebuilt to a 383, then doo it. But if you need a quick fix, then wait it out until it gets really bad or just replace it. lol

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doubt the heads are cracked, what coolant do you use? is it the old dex cool or something new? i would take the valve covers off and check if the heads are cracked. if they arent, replace the gasket.

OP
OP
fyremanpat

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
Im almost positive they arent cracked. Its an extremely small leak. I havent noticed ANY fluid missing. My heart says 383 and keep the Hoe forever...but the misses says different...what does she know though, she drives a corolla..haha..Also no one has mentioned about the oil around the distributor. Its a small amount also (not dripping or running) Im assuming its another gasket or o ring on the shaft. My truck has been babied most of its life ( it was my pops truck first) and i'd hate to see it go. I guess time will tell. Dont worry I will do a write up either direction I go....I dont remember what coolant Im using and I flushed it a while ago. Its still clean and green.

Last edited:

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my guess is that the oil pressure sensor is leaking and you need to replace it, it is unconviently located near the distributor cap, hense the oil. a big pain to replace

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10