Not even my mechanic can figure this out - video attached

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vmarcial27

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 chevy tahoe with the following problem - the car brakes totally fine with plenty of brake life left. However when ever I am about to FULLY stop (the last 2 or 3 seconds) less then 5mph the car brings to make a noise and looks like the ABS activates. help please winter is around the corner

Video is attached so you can better understand what I am saying....you can hear the noise it makes in the video! helpppp pleases

thanks!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get a new mechanic, I am willing to bet it is a bad abs sensor, either scan it for live data on the abs sensors to determine which one or just go buy a abs sensor and swap it out on the front left, if the problem still occurs swap it to the right side.
the sensors run $20-30 maybe less

could also be related to a bad wheel hub. check that by jacking up the front wheels and see if there is any play at 12 & 6 (should be none), there will be a little at 9 & 3 because of the steering.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
get a new mechanic, I am willing to bet it is a bad abs sensor, either scan it for live data on the abs sensors to determine which one or just go buy a abs sensor and swap it out on the front left, if the problem still occurs swap it to the right side.
the sensors run $20-30 maybe less

could also be related to a bad wheel hub. check that by jacking up the front wheels and see if there is any play at 12 & 6 (should be none), there will be a little at 9 & 3 because of the steering.
Just adding to this: You can feel the difference between play in the steering vs. play in the hub.

Good way to do this is with 2 people. have one person grab the wheel and give it a light-medium shimmy, while you grab a hold of the cv stub and put your thumb on the spindle. The tactility in your hands far outpaces anything you can see by eye. You'll feel it, even if you don't see or hear it.

That goes for anything in your steering. Put your mitts around it

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Likely a front wheel speed sensor. Seen a ton of them where the wire strands break inside the insulation at the point they move the most steering and suspension travel. Scan too will let you see which wheel drops to 0 while the truck is still moving.

Jeffwiz87

Reaction score
Wheel speed sensors in the front are lifting from rust causing excessive gap from the tone ring. Replace front hubs or remove sensors and clean rust from mating surface. I agree. Get a new mechanic. I have done 100’s of these.

bladenbullet

Reaction score
usually a speed sensor that drops out to zero at very low speed...monitoring the speed sensors will almost always uncover it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879