*Normal* Cooling System performance or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys, sounds like a “feature, not a bug” LOL. I’ll just keep an eye on it. I can see now why people that are towing are doing cooling system upgrades.

So far the temp has been stable at 210 under all other conditions, whether it’s creeping up steep dirt or blasting down the interstate. I’ll update this thread if anything more happens.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is true, but the energy (heat) output of the engine should also drop along a parallel curve, assuming combustion efficiency remains constant, which is the purpose of automated airflow, mixture and spark controls. This is what happens with normally-aspirated piston-engined aircraft for example. The more altitude we gain, the less power we have and the less heat we have to contend with.
Good point, I think depending on the efficiency of the air fuel mixture control mechanism, the loss of horsepower (heat), might be more than the loss of efficiency of the heat exchangers. Although I will admit to the fact that pondering it kind of gives me a headache.

OK, for the forced induction crowd, ignore anything I just wrote. Cause you will get hotter. :)

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys, sounds like a “feature, not a bug” LOL. I’ll just keep an eye on it. I can see now why people that are towing are doing cooling system upgrades.

So far the temp has been stable at 210 under all other conditions, whether it’s creeping up steep dirt or blasting down the interstate. I’ll update this thread if anything more happens.
Yep. I upgraded the transmission cooler to a Hayden 678 because of it.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Remember Also that if you are just reading the temp gauge on the dash, it's really ambiguous.
It will show 210* starting about 185 ish and stay there til about 215 ish....
It's so the soccer moms don't freak out

Your temps are normal.. Although I feel 10,000 hours at 65K miles is really really high..
Unless I read it wrong and it's only 1000 hour...
I bought mine with around 2500 hours and 98K

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Remember Also that if you are just reading the temp gauge on the dash, it's really ambiguous.
It will show 210* starting about 185 ish and stay there til about 215 ish....
It's so the soccer moms don't freak out

Your temps are normal.. Although I feel 10,000 hours at 65K miles is really really high..
Unless I read it wrong and it's only 1000 hour...
I bought mine with around 2500 hours and 98K
Yeah, I learned a long time ago about those “idiot gauges” the car designers use to save us from worry. I used my scan tool to watch the live data when I was cleaning and doing the coolant change and it was steady also.

This was a Customs truck on the Texas border. Probably never shut down at all during a work shift. Lots of idle time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne