Noob here I need help with a purchase decision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NortheastRig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys let me first same I’m a long time lurker and first time poster. I currently have a 2003 Ford Expedition EB with 260k miles that I’ve had in the family since new. Just this past year I completely overhauled the suspension with Oem parts, compete brake job, intake manifold(huge problem in these models) and a brand new fuse box that cause a no crank no start issue(another huge problem for 03-06 expeditions).

Despite all of the above the truck is running like a dream however I think it’s time for an upgrade. I have my sights set on a 2010 Surburban LT 5.3 fully loaded with 110k on the clock for $13k and a 2010 Yukon XL Denali with 210k on the clock for $11k with. 6.2

A couple of things I’m concerned about as I’ve done a bit of research, the Chevy and Yukon with the 5.3 and 6.2 does that model year have the AFM?

Also in regards to the mileage on both vehicles, Carfax stated the Chevy started as a rental fleet up until 25k miles and then it was sold and was privately owned afterwards in the North east.

The Yukon started as a commercial vehicle in the Mid north west and was sold at 95k miles. I’m assuming this was a fleet management vehicle as well. Vehicle was driven 25k miles a year until sold and then it was privately owned and judging from carfax regular service was done.

Both vehicles are at reputable Chevy dealerships, so my question is which one should I go for? I have a budget of $15k but if I can spend less I’m all for it..

Also the Chevy is at a local dealer while the Yukon is 1000 Miles away but I don’t want to buy sight unseen

Thanks for the advice in advance

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
It's really kind of hard to answer...

It really all depends on what you want/need.

While the 6.2L is very attractive to me it is not a necessity and it also has an extra 100K miles on it that the 5.3L doesn't.

I am also not a fan of the front end on the Yukon so that is another strike for me.

2010 Denali should be an AFM engine. Look at the VLOM under the intake and see if it is flat or bumpy... bumpy means it has AFM. That would be another strike for me as I would prefer an earlier year without the AFM but you can always delete it if you wanted to.

The Denali would have more bells and whistle than the Suburban since its not an LTZ.

I know this isn't really an answer but hope it helps.

OP
OP
N

NortheastRig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's really kind of hard to answer...

It really all depends on what you want/need.

While the 6.2L is very attractive to me it is not a necessity and it also has an extra 100K miles on it that the 5.3L doesn't.

I am also not a fan of the front end on the Yukon so that is another strike for me.

2010 Denali should be an AFM engine. Look at the VLOM under the intake and see if it is flat or bumpy... bumpy means it has AFM. That would be another strike for me as I would prefer an earlier year without the AFM but you can always delete it if you wanted to.

The Denali would have more bells and whistle than the Suburban since its not an LTZ.

I know this isn't really an answer but hope it helps.

Everything helps I really appreciate it.

The Suburban LT is fully loaded and has navigation and Sunroof.

I know mileage really does not matter anymore but your right the Suburban has 100k less miles which is really attractive

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Everything helps I really appreciate it.

The Suburban LT is fully loaded and has navigation and Sunroof.

I know mileage really does not matter anymore but your right the Suburban has 100k less miles which is really attractive

Like I said it really depends on what you intend to do with it.

If you are going to be towing or just have a need for more power then the 6.2L is hard to beat. But if that isn't your biggest concern then the 5.3L will get the job done. Either way a good tune goes a long way to improving the driveabilty of these rigs.

OP
OP
N

NortheastRig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Like I said it really depends on what you intend to do with it.

If you are going to be towing or just have a need for more power then the 6.2L is hard to beat. But if that isn't your biggest concern then the 5.3L will get the job done. Either way a good tune goes a long way to improving the driveabilty of these rigs.

It’s more for the family and road trips which I do a lot of. As for towing only light towing less than 5k lbs every once in a blue moon.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider this Ronald, that Yukon has 100K more miles, that's 3-5 years less driving time before a major overhaul would be needed, generally speaking of course. If you buy the Suburban, assume the 100k service has not been done and budget for it. Download the manual so you can see what it will entail. Consider a subscription to AllDataDIY for access to the shop manual and if you want to work on your own car smartly, get a Tech2 to go with it.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, take your time and don’t impulse buy. It took me almost 9 months of actively looking before I found what I want.
Weigh the pros and cons, look for a deal, and remember it’s much harder to add all that nav and folding mirrors etc, if the truck didn’t come with it rather than just get LTZ or Denali.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2015YukonDen

Latest posts