Non-Hydroboost Power Steering and Brakes Linked?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RET423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has to be a fluid restriction, it builds enough pressure with brakes free to work okay but the needed pressure to work with the resistance of the brake applied is insufficient.

I would look for a collapsed hose, plugged cooler, restricted filter or some debris stuck in the steering box valving.

OP
OP

510man

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. Weather and time... Life happens.

Removing the filter helped some. Kinda odd since it's on the return side. I can blow through the filter freely so it's not clogged. Just shouldn't be a filter or GM would have put one there.

After removing the filter, the more I bled the system the more it improved. Thus, I bled it a lot.

Lastly, I checked the fluid level hot. Normally I check it cold. Showed full cold but low when hot. Topped it off hot, which seemed to help it too.

All combined, there's still more resistance with brakes applied than with no brakes but much, much improved. I'll drive it a bit and see where it goes. It's a third vehicle so not driven a lot.

Thanks for all the help.

OP
OP

510man

Reaction score
Circling back to closeout. I got tired of this problem when backing trailers. Thus, I ordered a new GM brand PS pump. Removed the new Cardone pump. GM brand pump works as it should no issues when turning with foot on the brakes. Neither pump was rebuilt.

GM was $100ish more. Should have done that first. I spent more in time. And the "new" Cardone pump went in the trash. They will warranty adjust it if I pay freight. It doens't work correctly so what use is a new one? None!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo