Non-Bose: Can you swap speakers with component & factory wiring (no-crossover)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaxCoachT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pretty simple question, but I don't think I've seen it. Most speaker posts dive into ohms and aftermarket amps.

This truck is a 2009 with 185K on the clock, so I don't want to go bananas.
Radio is non-bose, factory headunit, front factory component speakers (with tweeters in pillar).
Rear speakers were toast, so I just replaced them, straight swap for some Polks I got on sale...

It came from factory with fr components, so I'm guessing they must have some kind of crossover built into the system.

If I swap out the front speakers with components (infinity/polk/sony etc), can I use factory wiring and toss the crossover that comes with the speakers?

abrasumente

Reaction score
There's the possibility it'll sound like crap if you use the factory crossovers with aftermarket speakers, but it's pretty remote. If you're just trying to keep some music going in your ride, put em in and don't give it another thought.

Get the right size spade connectors for your new speakers. Nothing's more annoying than a speaker crackling while you're going over bumps. Crutchfield will have them.

edit: pop your A pillar tweeters out. If there's anything else in that assembly besides a tweeter you'll have to use the crossovers. If your base system has no crossover at all, there would be a high pass filter attached to the tweet (probably just a basic setup of a resistor and a cap). The crossover coming with your new speakers will perform this function among others.

Last edited:

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's the possibility it'll sound like crap if you use the factory crossovers with aftermarket speakers, but it's pretty remote. If you're just trying to keep some music going in your ride, put em in and don't give it another thought.

Get the right size spade connectors for your new speakers. Nothing's more annoying than a speaker crackling while you're going over bumps. Crutchfield will have them.

edit: pop your A pillar tweeters out. If there's anything else in that assembly besides a tweeter you'll have to use the crossovers. If your base system has no crossover at all, there would be a high pass filter attached to the tweet (probably just a basic setup of a resistor and a cap). The crossover coming with your new speakers will perform this function among others.
My experience from installation on my 2001 Yukon -

The signal to the front door teeeter is already a high-pass/low-block signal, so ou don’t need crossovers in the front door. You can use any tweeter in place of the OEM tweeter. I plan to use Polk Audio DB1001
tweeters mounted to Metra 82-3016 adapters, but this adapter is just a thin double-teardrop shaped plastic trim panel. You could just as easily use band strapping.

The OEM speaker in the rear pillar is a full range speaker, not a tweeter. I don’t know if it receives a high-pass / low block signal from the amplifier, so I installed a Crutchfield high-pass 150hz capacitor with a Memphis Audio PR27 full range speaker. The FR on the Memphis PR27 is rated at 200hz - 12,000 hz …. Not very wide at all, but I was pleased with the fullness of sound it provided. I’m getting plenty of higher frequency treble from the door tweeters. I tried three other speakers before I found the PR27 that fit cleanly in the rear pillar bracket. I rotated the Memphis 90 degrees and used two small sheet metal screws on the side of the speaker frame, plus re-used the existing top pressfit pin to secure the speaker in place, per photo.

Attachments

• 6834DA5C-30B6-4861-BF68-822093E9FFF4.jpeg
    6834DA5C-30B6-4861-BF68-822093E9FFF4.jpeg
    504.5 KB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts