Noisy AC, any ideas??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freyguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On my wife’s 07 Tahoe LTZ she has been complaining of a noise in the air conditioner. I thought she was nuts for a while, but I finally heard it. The a/c will function normally for a while, but it eventually starts making a “noise”. It’s hard to describe, but it sounds like very turbulent air moving around in the blower section under the glove box on the passenger side. I can hear the air blowing down there, but it almost sounds similar to having a window open and the air whipping in. At the same time the noise starts, the air output is greatly reduced from the vents.

I immediately thought it was the blower/fan, so I replaced it with no luck. While I had the fan out, I felt around for any debris in the lower vents (as far as my big hands could reach), and there was nothing. Any other ideas on what it could be? It has the auto hvac, so I’m leaning towards one of the door actuators? In my searches, when they go bad, it tends to blow hot air instead of cold, and this does not happen on mine. The only way I can get the problem to go away is if I put it on straight defrost. It eventually goes back to normal sounding, then I can put the settings back to auto, where it moves it to the face vents.

Any input is appreciated as we are using it for a long road trip soon, and I’m sure it will drive me crazy!

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

I must have been using the wrong search terms. This thread has my exact same problem. I just recently replaced my HVAC Head Unit. Whoulda thunk it!

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40820

LTLux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you found my old post. I was going to ask if you had replaced the head unit. They have to be programed at the dealer and I wasted $200 to figure it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper