Noise when wheel is turned?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

shahking1120

Reaction score
Check your brake pads and rotors. You can get all types of weird noises as they wear out. Wife's '11 Malibu had some weird and annoying clicking at highway speeds (100+ km/h) with the steering wheel slightly turned. Replaced the pads and rotors and it's quiet as a mouse. Now I probably have to replace the intermediate steering shaft as that's rattling over bumps. :rolleyes:

Yeah but I feel like im changing them all the time!!

I will probably do them tomorrow and just buy the better autozone pads so I can swap them out for free..

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but I feel like im changing them all the time!!

I will probably do them tomorrow and just buy the better autozone pads so I can swap them out for free..

those pads blow. i buy them only if im in a bind. and you will be changing them all the time too. they wont last 12,000 miles.

OP
OP
S

shahking1120

Reaction score
those pads blow. i buy them only if im in a bind. and you will be changing them all the time too. they wont last 12,000 miles.

Oh... well it seems like my acdelco pads only lasted 10k on the rears!

But then again, I haven't actually checked them! going to do that in a few minutes! figured id just get the pads before, if they are worn.

Looking at these, https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/202598/01487/2011/CHEVROLET/TAHOE/0/V8-325%20%205.3L

for the front and the same model for the rear.. on any vehicle I've never used anything but OE. Not sure where to start!

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id just hit the r1 ebay store and order up a set. take about a week to ship to me in NJ, they ship out of CA.

and likely cheaper then the best what ever brand is sold at the local parts stores. ive been through every pad you can think of from the local stores. hands down r1 is the best brakes ive ever owned.

also make sure your sliders are lubed up good as well as the pad ends where they mount in the bracket. if they dont move some what freely when you install them, grind the tab on the pad some so they fit better, they can bind up and not back off like they should. i've been grinding on pads for years now, your taking like a 1/8 inch off. dont hurt, only helps.

im yet to have to dr up a r1 pad tho. all them parts store pads ive had to grind em down pretty often.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you must be buying the cheap ones, the c-max duralast (extreme duty) last me 20k plus on the front and im pretty ******* brakes, I even bought the GT's this last time to check them out fantastic stopping power but the carbon fiber makes a lot of dust

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive had em all on my last two pick ups and the regal. cheap to top of the line parts store junk. i was not easy on them trucks, used em for work, snow plowed, towed the boat, treated them like red headed step kids really, but only when i drove em, they got regular maint. i was doing 3000 miles a month. so up keep was demanding for sure. brakes were changed way to often, rears always wore out before the fronts. and still do. they've learned to add more rear brakes to all cars and trucks. even my regal, the pads wear at the same pace somewhat, rears still go first tho.

oh the r1's dont dust up much if at all really.

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only when turning, all turning, just slightly to switch lanes, or even when im making a turn to go up a floor in the parking garage.
Have you checked your PS reservoir? Mine was leaking last winter and at low speeds it would make a metallic almost grinding sound while turning. I kept topping it off to limp it by until I could fix it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive had em all on my last two pick ups and the regal. cheap to top of the line parts store junk. i was not easy on them trucks, used em for work, snow plowed, towed the boat, treated them like red headed step kids really, but only when i drove em, they got regular maint. i was doing 3000 miles a month. so up keep was demanding for sure. brakes were changed way to often, rears always wore out before the fronts. and still do. they've learned to add more rear brakes to all cars and trucks. even my regal, the pads wear at the same pace somewhat, rears still go first tho.

oh the r1's dont dust up much if at all really.
that's weird that your rear brakes are wearing out faster than the front, on all my vehicles I have had in the last 14 years the fronts wear almost 2-to-1 against the rears, drive in reverse a lot? lol

OP
OP
S

shahking1120

Reaction score
Figured it out guys!

The little clips that holds in the pad was bent out of shape and rubbing on metal, pads are fine, just had to bend everything back in place!

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions!

One more question...how do you guys bleed brakes? Fluids looking nasty and I wont have anyones help tomorrow.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
A few options, here. The best would be with a tech 2 to actuate the ABS module. I know @Rocket Man loves his motive bleeder. @iamdub has a method of turning the key on and off to cycle it. Some guys take it to a field and slam on the brakes. If none of the above is available, u should good old fashioned gravity bleed it (RR, LR, RF, LF) first and see where you're at I would say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmt800