Noise disappears in neutral

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heres a tip. uhm if they are the original u joints then your gunna need a torch to get them out just a fyi

farwek

Reaction score
It sounds like the rear bearings carrier or pinion, might as well replace all 3. BTW if you are going to 14 bolt there are other options for replacing the rear end. I put a dana 60 in mine because I had 2 of the stock GM 10 bolts fall apart on me. The dana 60 fits into the stock carrier as long as you buy the correct bearings and shims.

OP
OP
matthop53

matthop53

Reaction score
Is there a cost or performance benefit to the Dana 60 vs the SF 14 bolt 6 lug? From what I understand the 14 bolt is a straight forward swap with no welding involved.

farwek

Reaction score
Im not 100% sure but I thought you needed a whole new axle assembly, but I think you are right you do not need to weld or anything like that. I could be mistaken. All I had to get was the diff itself and some 30 spline axles along with some new bearings and I was set. So this is my set-up Dana 60 10-bolt, 30 spline yukon gear axles, 76-77 F-250 carrier bearings and stock pinion bearing.

farwek

Reaction score
I forgot to add that its cheaper because you only need the guts of it all instead of having to find a 14bolt carrier/casing for everything to fit in.

OP
OP
matthop53

matthop53

Reaction score
In doing a SF 14 bolt swap I know you need a new U joint, is that it? I have also read you need new U bolts. If so, why?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goldwing2000