Noise disappears in neutral

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matthop53

Reaction score
I have been chasing a noise ever since I put on my suspension lift. The truck will make an intermittent noise when I am coasting above 40-45 mph. I thought it might have been the drivers side cv so I changed it and the hub assembly and I have had both drive shafts lengthened because they were coming out of the transfer case. The noise will stop if I shift into neutral or when I accelerate. Any help would be great.

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How big a lift? and did you put some good Spicer u-joints in? I know when I lifted mine that the u-joints didn't like it and would creak on acceleration. That could be your problem.

Do you have more pics of your truck, btw? From what I see it looks really cool.

OP
OP
matthop53

matthop53

Reaction score
I put on a six inch lift. The u joints are fine the guy that built my new drive shafts said they looked good. The noise happens when I coast not under acceleration. I haven't taken any recent pictures it's dirty but I might this weekend it looks like its going to stop raining for awhile.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you swap gears? How is the back lifted? Is the pinion angle correct?

U joints could be bad regardless. Had both mine fail shortly after the lift due to the increased angles on them and their age.

OP
OP
matthop53

matthop53

Reaction score
It has the stock 3.73 gears, pinion angle was adjusted by the guy that fabricated the rear drive shaft, the rear is lifted by a 3in block 2in add-a-leaf. Tire size is 305/70 16.

The noise is an intermittent low frequency whan whan noise(sorry I can make the sound better than describe it) It's definitely not a grinding noise and it isn't consistent and the noise can be drawn out or it's a short bust

OP
OP
matthop53

matthop53

Reaction score
It could be the u joints but I just had the drive shafts done and he said they were fine. He suggested it was the possibly the pinion bearing, but wasn't sure, I was hoping to get some independent verification from somebody.

I am thinking about putting in a 14 bolt before the 10 bolt gives up the ghost anyway, but I feel like one thing keeps leading to another and I just want to enjoy my truck.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
could be the rear, your right. U joints isn't a big deal to do, how old are the ones on there now?

Does it feel like a vibration? I had trouble chasing a driveline vibration right after my lift on my two door. Drove me nuts, got worse after I lifted the rear a little taller too. All came down to the U joint angles on the driveshaft.

If by some chance it is, this really helped me a lot.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Driveline-101.shtml

Last edited:
OP
OP
matthop53

matthop53

Reaction score
There is a slight vibration, but not soo bad that if you are not looking for it you wouldn't notice it. It drives down the highway no problem. Thanks for the link I just glanced through it... very good info

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet its the u joints mine went out and i just lifted as well

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2