No start, need help, out of ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, Distributor cap. Only ones any good are Delco's and United Brass terminal.Burned thru and sparks going everywhere but where you want them. Plug wires should be checked for resistance, Too much burns caps. also too big of a plug gap. .040 works good. Brain fart, can't remember who makes delco wires, 1/2 price.Look around center terminal on cap inside.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok went back out there, hooked another battery to it and cranked it over continuously. it back fired 2 twice. the distributor is only 4 months old, so is plugs wires, cap, rotor. (billet assembly complete). i'm thinking that it must have jumped time. my opinion in if it got fuel, spark and compression which it does, it seems its out of sequence, IE timing. i have followed many diagnostics and everything on the voltage, resistance and olms checks out on the modules for the ignition from what i am assuming. i dont know what else to check. i can start replacing modules.
jumped time is a possibility, not sure how you would check without taking the timing cover off, one of the methods Ron mentioned may tell you.

OP
OP
M

mkingan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the engine sounds normal on turnover, i have a compression tester, ill check TDC tommrow

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
While coils do go bad they are very rare to go bad. What color is the spark when you check it? Blue spark good. Orange spark bad.

redwing4900

Reaction score
While coils do go bad they are very rare to go bad. What color is the spark when you check it? Blue spark good. Orange spark bad.
And I'm thinking the whole time It's your fuel filter. Had mine go a couple months back just as you described running one minute then cranking with no fire. It's the cheapest option. Let us know what you find.
Good luck!

OP
OP
M

mkingan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
orange spark, checked compression, all good. she is on TDC with number one. notched tthat some plugs wet

OP
OP
M

mkingan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i'm still thinking spark, going get some parts and doing some replacing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz