No reverse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zrxrider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought a Tahoe and it has no reverse. All the forward gear are supposed to be fine but I havn't drove it because the guy I bought it from drained the trans fluid. I'm going to take it out and check it out next weekend but just wondering if anyone else had this problem and if so what was wrong. Hoping its something simple that might not include a trans rebuild. Also how long does it take to remove the transmission from these things and how hard is it, just so I can prepare.

WorldClass

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The most common is the reaction sun shell and the foreward sprag. It strips out in the center so it does not hold, there for loosing reverse. But put in the foreword sprag while your in there. It is a rebuild and a trans shop might be the way to go. Your looking at 2-4 hrs in labor to remove the trans, give or take. The trans shop will know what these parts are, they are internal. Sorry about the bad news.

OP
OP
Z

Zrxrider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a friend that owns a garage and hes going to help me take it out and maybe try to rebuild it he hasnt really messed with to many of them, but he also know a guy thats an expert on trannys. He said he could prob fix it for 200 or 300 if its fixible. He said sometimes it can mess the whole thing up and you have to start with a new one.

Onebadsuv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
4L60e

When the forward sprag let go on me the trans would not auto upshift any more . I had to drop it into first manually and shift into second , then I could put it in drive. t worked and upshifted to 3rd and OD until the next time I stopped... again drop into 1st , shift 2nd ect. I pulled it and put in a newer removable bellhousing style 4L60(5) ? . Flywheel is exposed just a bit now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
baldaurk