No rear air at all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd replace the connectors if possible. Or atleast throw a big ziptie on it to make sure that it stays tight and doesn't arc.

Fred Demara

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
SOLVED - No Rear Air - Only Shows "OFF"

No rear air blowing:
I purchased a resistor for my rear air but was disappointed when the $102 part did not fix the problem. One day while sitting in McD drive-thru, I pressed my leg down in the floor next to the driver floor panel. (my wallet is in my left rear pocket) Suddenly the fan started blowing! I removed my foot and it stopped again.

I took the floor panel apart (below the dash on the left, under the dash, to the left of the emergency brake) There is a large connector with a bunch (maybe 10? I didn't count) small wires and one LARGE ORANGE wire. The plastic around the orange wire was discolored dark brown like it had gotten hot. I opened the connector, (you squeeze one end and flip the blue handle up to separate the parts) I slightly bent the male connector down (toward the other connectors) to ensure a tight fit. I reconnected the connector and tested.

No more disconnection when wiggling it! The rear air works fine. If this turns out to be a temporary fix, I'll cut the orange wire and crimp on a more solid connector.

Anyway, hope this helps someone!

-Garry

Thanks Gary...it did help someone. While having this same problem with my 2005 Yukon Denali XL, I searched and found your answer. My local dealership said they would look at the problem and charge 189 for the diagnostic.

Anyway, after reading your post, I decided to take a look....exactly where you said it was I found the connector with the orange wire....in the picture attached, you can see that the connector is badly burnt. I removed both ends from the connectors and wired them directly together, and the rear air is working again.

Pretty sure this is the same fix Suburban , Yukon , Tahoe ....hopeful this will help someone else. I'm so grateful I found Gary's post because money is very tight right now, and I'm thrilled I didn't have to pay a shop to fix something so simple.

Thanks again, Gary.

IMG_1877.JPG

kitttransam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I guess mine was easy. There's a ground wire attached to the blower motor. Wiggled it and it started working. Added more ground wires to each mounting point to make it more reliable

GMCDAC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I found this thread in a google search as the rear a/c fan was not working in my wife's '06 Denali. Gary's suggestion was right on the money for me also! Thanks! I spliced soldered and shrink wrapped it and the rear a/c fan works fine now.

DACRear ac wire.jpg

Steve Gannon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same problem. rear air not blowing. I will check that harness under left foot area and the blower fan. Thanks for sharing these diagnosis.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar problem but not exactly. I have property 150 miles from home and i always put the fans on in the back for my dogs but this time they did not come on. Half way through the trip the fans turned on and ran fine and even came right back on after i shut the truck off. A few days later on the trip home same thing, No fans until half way home and they came on again. I checked the orange wire and there is no burn marks at all. Does anyone have a clue what could be going on?

TyZipp97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
SOLVED - No Rear Air - Only Shows "OFF"

Hi Everyone,

New to these parts and I saw this thread with no resolution. Here's how I resolved the no rear air problem in my 2006 GMC Yukon Denali.

I had the same symptoms:
No rear air blowing
Rear air controls just show "OFF" when you try to power them on.
Front overhead fan control does nothing

I'll answer them one at a time.
Rear air contol shows off:
This is actually working as designed. The rear air controls are only active when the front fan selector is set to "AUX". If you have it set to auto it mimics the front temperature. If you set it manually, then it simply runs at the speed you set. Having never used the rear air myself, that confused me. Set it to AUX and it will turn on and you can set fan and temperature.

No rear air blowing:
I purchased a resistor for my rear air but was disappointed when the $102 part did not fix the problem. One day while sitting in McD drive-thru, I pressed my leg down in the floor next to the driver floor panel. (my wallet is in my left rear pocket) Suddenly the fan started blowing! I removed my foot and it stopped again.

I took the floor panel apart (below the dash on the left, under the dash, to the left of the emergency brake) There is a large connector with a bunch (maybe 10? I didn't count) small wires and one LARGE ORANGE wire. The plastic around the orange wire was discolored dark brown like it had gotten hot. I opened the connector, (you squeeze one end and flip the blue handle up to separate the parts) I slightly bent the male connector down (toward the other connectors) to ensure a tight fit. I reconnected the connector and tested.

No more disconnection when wiggling it! The rear air works fine. If this turns out to be a temporary fix, I'll cut the orange wire and crimp on a more solid connector.

Anyway, hope this helps someone!

-Garry
Years later your discovery on your trip to McDonald's has saved my truck thank you very much. I got my rear ac back now and the kids will be happy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645