No oil pressure at start up, 2001 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the O-ring a few days ago only because I had the oil pan off to install a new oil pan gasket which was the original riveted gasket. Should of been done this fall when the weather was in the 60's but that would of made to much sense. The O-Ring was green and flat exactly like Chads. I also replaced the Starter with a brand new one before I put the Oil Pan back on. Had I known the Crank Sensor was behind the starter I would of got a new one of those as well. You can probably drop the starter down some and replace that sensor but it would of been nice to replace it with the starter completely out of the way. I did not complete this job in only a few hours the new starter itself took a hour as I had some problems installing it. Working upside down on a cold floor is not something I look forward to doing and if my oil leak is the main seal plate gasket I will still have the leak.
Hoping for the best.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a bit more oil pressure after installing a new (red) Oil Pump Tube O-Ring. When your starter bolts have oil drops on them it is from a leaking Rear Plate seal gasket. When you have oil dripping off every bolt like mine it's both the Main and the Rear Plate seal.

Last edited:

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a bit more oil pressure after installing a new (red) Oil Pump Tube O-Ring but not as much as I was hoping. When your starter bolts have oil drops on them it is from a leaking Rear Plate seal gasket. When you have oil dripping off every bolt like mine it's both the Main and the Rear Plate seal. When your going to Cosco once a month to get cardboard for your garage floor like I do you have more work to do than just a Oil Pan gasket.
That's where i'm at now. Told myself after the new year, I'll take it in for the damage. Maybe go beat on it hard and see if I can get the trans to go out (166k original). My luck would be paying for the rear main labor and driving home the trans grenades.

GBF1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 04 Z71 has 245k. These trucks last if you take care of them. I have had zero oil pressure issues since I put the O ring in. hope this thread eventually helps someone avoid a very expensive "rebuilt" just because a $3 oring goes bad.
Any idea what a shop would charge for this repair? I have a 2006 Denali with 6.0

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on what I'm seeing online, I would estimate $500.
Sounds about right. Alldatadiy lists 3.5 hours labor to install a new oil strainer which is what needs to be done to replace the o-ring. So figuring $125 an hour for an average shop rate, that’s about $400 labor plus the o-ring, oil, filter, pan gasket etc $500 sounds correct. It’s not terribly hard to do at all if you’re mechanically inclined and could save yourself $400 or so.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree 100%. I did this in an afternoon on my 2WD Yukon. If you have a 4WD, it will be a little more difficult since from what I understand you have to drop the front differential.
I just removed the 4 big nuts that hold the front diff to the frame, let it drop, and barely pried it down a tad more. A short piece of 2x in the right place held it down far enough to remove the pan.

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right. Alldatadiy lists 3.5 hours labor to install a new oil strainer which is what needs to be done to replace the o-ring. So figuring $125 an hour for an average shop rate, that’s about $400 labor plus the o-ring, oil, filter, pan gasket etc $500 sounds correct. It’s not terribly hard to do at all if you’re mechanically inclined and could save yourself $400 or so.
There is no need to replace the oil pickup tube. Just the O-ring is needed that's only like $7, including other costs like oil pan gasket and RTV sealer. So shops want to replace the pickup tube too or is that just what GM likes to do?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz