Newbie with a Tahoe Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeLimited

Reaction score
Yessir...didn't know these babies existed until 3 days ago, when I saw one for sale on my local Craigslist (in Colorado Springs, CO). It looked killer, so I did some research and realized they were rare, cool and had some very nice features. Bought it the next day (got a great deal), after realizing it was in extra-excellent shape. Literally everything works in it, from the AC to the electric mirrors, etc. And just a few miles under 99K original miles.

I've owned many performance cars...first (25 years ago now...wow; when I was 23) was a '68 Chevelle SS (owned it for 10 years). Then started the Buick Grand Nationals. I've owned 5 of those to date, including one with GN1 head, making over 500 hp. I've also had a '71 Datsun 510 with an SR20DET drivetrain in it, making ~340 hp. Two Subaru STi's as well.

Anyway, I'm instantly in love with my Tahoe Limited. And now that I've had it a solid 2 days, I'm even happier, being that there's every indication it's in perfect running condition. The only thing wrong was a warped brake rotor, which was evident, especially noticeable when slowing to a stop. So yesterday, I bought two new rotors, pads and bearings as well. So now it's stopping smoother than you can fathom. Well, the undulation is gone. Other than that, it needs new tires, which will probably correct the off-balance shaking at high speeds (balancing the wheels yesterday didn't do it, so it's got to the old tire (s), which are ready to be replaced anytime.

It's bone stock, so I'm very curious to know what the popular performance mods are. It seems to me it's just asking for dual exhaust. And what else are people doing to the motor to add some hp? I replaced the stock air filter with a K&N (Spectra) style filter, which might give me 5-10 hp, but I'm hoping to get get 'er up to ~325 hp. I've done some searches and haven't found anything real obvious as far as mods for the Vortec 5.7. Any tips would be appreciated.

Anyway, happy to be here!

Terry

Attachments

• DSC00591-ls.jpg
    DSC00591-ls.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00595-ls.jpg
    DSC00595-ls.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00597-ls.jpg
    DSC00597-ls.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 27

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome:

Tahoe looks like it's in GREAT condition!

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that limited is sexy!!!

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice tahoe! never been a big fan of the old anemic 5.7's (unless its an LS1 but nvm on that) not sure of your skills but a 5.3 can be done quite easily and if done yourself can be quite cheap for a much better platform to work with.

but other than that an intake, exhaust, and custom tune will really wake it up.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a LOT you can do to the 5.7 to wake it up that I'd do before swapping in a 5.3

OP
OP
TahoeLimited

TahoeLimited

Reaction score
There is a LOT you can do to the 5.7 to wake it up that I'd do before swapping in a 5.3

This discussion has some favorable opinions about the 5.7 vs. the 5.3: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f22/discontiuation-5-7l-vortec-right-move-16854/ I don't know...maybe the 5.3 is more mod-friendly in the long run, but my opinion of the stock Vortec 5.7 is that it feels like a great motor, very smooth and feels like it just wants to be awoken with some basic mods. Exhaust and a BB tune? Don't know anything about it, other that what I've read on BB's website, but seems like a very popular mod 'round these parts.

If I swap in a new motor that means I want some serious horsepower. And that means I'm not going to dilly dally. It will be like a 502/502 or an LS7 crate motor. This, of course will not happen unless I find a duffle bag of cash left on my front porch.

Last edited:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The vortec 5.7 is definitely a solid reliable motor. Exhaust and tune is definitely a great place to start. They will last forever as long they are maintained properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truckinscooby

Latest posts