Newbie need advice on engine oil!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fani

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I live in Saudi Arabia and have recently have bought my first yukon '02 imported from Washington DC, USA. The problem I am having is about the right engine oil to be used here. The manual recommends that 5W-30 should be used for colder areas (such as USA), but for higher temperature areas 10W-30 can be used. Here in Arabian Deserts the temperatures in which I drive in, reaches around 117 degrees in summer time while remains 80-86 degrees in winter. Can you please help me in which type of oil to use as my mechanic says that 10W-30 in summer time can damage engine according to his experience! Now I have put 20W-50( which according to the manual is 'not recommended' in any case) in my engine but experiencing a little bit heavier engine performance...

Can please somebody guide me on what to do???

BigE

Reaction score
if it was me...i would use a high quality 5w-30 synthetic oil, such as Castrol Syntec. or whichever high quality synthetic oil you have available in your area.

Last edited:

WoldD90

Off Road Addict
Reaction score
20W50 is too heavy for that motor. Years ago, people used 20W50 to take up the slack in an older motor, but with tighter tolerances in newer motors, it is too heavy.

I would use the factory recommended 5w30 or 10w30.

OP
OP
F

fani

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies and sorry for the delayed response as i was traveling ( by air not in my YUKON). I will today revert back to 10W-30 and check the response. I hope in the end the engine is fine...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo