NEWBIE...looking for a new ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAWLin in WI

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this group/site. I found it earlier today and have been reading through a lot of threads and posts all day. Currently I have a 2015 Silverado Double Cab and am looking for a new ride once the lease is up an about a month. (I have wheels for it I prefer to be able to transfer to my new ride, I hope they would fit any of these)

I have been tinkering with the idea of getting a 2007-2014 Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade or Burban/Yukon XL/Escalade ESV and have been looking in to what is out there around me.

Browsing through one of the stickied posts, it seems maybe there's a ton of things that could go wrong (common) and it scared me back a bit. I'm trying to get input and to continue to do more and more research.

The vehicles I have been looking at are 100k and up (I'm trying to find something under 125k). I have been wondering a few things right off the bat-

-Durability/reliability of these vehicles at higher mileages (I've seen a lot in the high 100's, up to 200's and even some hitting near 300k)

-Debating on 6.2 vs 5.3 (gas mileage difference, relability, known issues)- I have the 5.3 in my current and last truck and like that engine but am no opposed to the 6.2, and I'm actually leaning towards an Escalade if I can find the right deal.

-I would like one with some nice features and also a nice price. I don't haul/tow a ton, but maybe be pulling a UTV around more often now.

Any input is appreciated. I hope I didn't scare myself off this idea by reading as much as I have already.

Adam in SW WI

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quote: The vehicles I have been looking at are 100k and up (I'm trying to find something under 125k). I have been wondering a few things right off the bat-

I think that is great, in 9 to 10 years I will be buying your mint 125k vehicle for around 6k so at that rate of depreciation it really does not matter how much you pay, go for it man, get jiggy wit it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't tow a lot, then the 5.3 will be fine. If you want fun for the times you're not towing and don't mind the MPG penalty, get a 6.2.

Every generation of these has it's problems. The benefit with getting a GMT900 is that pretty much every common problem has been documented so you should have a good idea of what you're looking at when shopping around. You'll know what questions to ask and what to look for in service and/or maintenance history. The K2xx (2015+ for SUVs) has it's problems, but many aren't quite sorted out yet and the initial cost of the vehicle is higher.

My opinion is that the most reliable generation is the GMT800. The problems are well-documented and are relatively small and easy to fix and the initial price of them are cheap. Their design is just very dated.

The GMT900 is the middle ground between cost, reliability and appearance. The GenIV engine's reliability can be just as solid as the GenIII's once the AFM components are removed. Find one that has the best documented service history you can find and go through it with a fine-tooth comb. Really inspect the fluids, listen for drivetrain noises (particularly the lifters), drive it in city streets and on the highway, etc. I'd aim for an '09+ for the 6-speed trans. For whatever you get, I'd highly recommend a good tune such as one from Black Bear to clean up the stock sloppiness in the engine and trans programming. It'll make it feel like the way it should have come from the factory.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Adam!!

I have 2016 Tahoe LT with the luxury package I bought brand new. I have 50K miles on it now and so far just oil changes. Had a vibration at 70 mph but after having the tires road forced it has been just fine...Even after driving on pot holed NYC streets. I get around 24 MPG or slightly higher on all highway driving on plain old 87 regular fuel. It is 2 WD.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome Adam. Does it have to fit in a garage? Regular length or short? 2WD, 4x4 or AWD?

The AFM components were upgraded in 2011 and those engines are much more reliable. That's not to say that most 2007s are still trucking along fine without issue.

I bought mine last year and budgeted to remove AFM. First I had the tune done to turn it off but am also enjoying the improved transmission performance and extra horsepower. Later on I found out that the entire AFM system had been rebuilt with all the latest parts. So my wife quickly repurposed that money but the truck runs just fine with it turned off. Dirty oil is AFMs worst enemy.

I also budgeted for a Tech2. You cannot successfully and cost effectively work on these modern trucks without an advanced scan tool. A cheap $20 code reader is not going to cut it, you need an advanced scan tool to quickly and accurately diagnose problems and to keep from getting ripped off.

Gotta run...

OP
OP
BAWLin in WI

BAWLin in WI

Reaction score
Doesn't need to fit in a garage. I'm not set on Tahoe size or full suburban size-either would be fine if the deal is right although I really like an LTZ, Escalade, Denali, or something with more than basic features.

I'm looking for 4wd or Awd, not sure if there is a benefit to one or the other. Currently my truck has selectable and I just leave it in Auto and haven't had a problem ever (mostly used for winter highway driving vs off road or mud driving etc).

How much does the tune job you have referenced usually run and what are the benefits?

I've only been more confused when it comes to AFM. First I thought I read that is wasn't on the older models and that models that did have it were suspect to certain problems.

Glad for the replies.