Newbie here: 2001 yukon xl problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

CoupleOnTheRoad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with a mechanic.
He suggest fuel filter first. Could be clogged. Could also be water in the tank and I would know when I pulled it. So step one is tomorrow and hoping it's not a fuel pump issue. If I could get it to autozone I'd check the codes, but don't want to risk driving it. Ugh.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Question. Do I need to pull a fuse or relieve pressure first? Truck will have sat two days before I get to it. Mechanic said no.

PlazaEJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're going to get gas down your arm, no matter what. You can pull the fuse, and start the truck, to relieve the pressure. That will help a little. But, any fuel in the line, from the top of the fuel pump to the filter, and up to the engine, will run out. Put a drain pan under the filter, and when you loosen the nuts, let it run out. Also, clean your drain pan, and you might be able to tell if there's water in the fuel.

Good luck,
EJ

OP
OP
C

CoupleOnTheRoad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I appreciate the responses. I'm under the gun. Need this truck running ASAP. I purchased a code scanner and will be checking the codes soon. Will also be changing (attempting) the fuel filter tomorrow. Fingers crossed this is an easy fix.

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 10:37 PM ----------

Purchased a code scanner. Got the following:

P0171
P0174
P1133
P0301

Seems I may be on the right track.

O2 sensor. (I'm not sure where this is on my truck)
Dirty fuel filter
Dirty air filter
Open PVC value (not sure what this is)

Says a misfire is detected

Also possible faulty
Spark plug
Coil
Fuel injector
Catalytic converter
Low fuel
Poor compression

Now I have a few options to check before I get ripped off by a mechanic. Unfortunately I'm under a time crunch.

OP
OP
C

CoupleOnTheRoad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not attempting to bump this. Wanted to post my progress in case others run into same problem. I just cleaned my mass air flow sensor. I'll test it next (if I can understand how). I'll put sensor back in and replace the PVC valve. Then I'll switch out fuel filter and hope everything works correctly. I'll post results when done.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I would do one thing at a time to properly determine what fixed it. Here's the order I'd do it:

1. Replace fuel filter, and drive truck
2. clean MAF, and drive truck
3. replace MAF, and drive truck
4. replace PCV valve, and drive truck

I believe to properly clear codes, you must disconnect the battery for a few minutes.

OP
OP
C

CoupleOnTheRoad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If I were you, I would do one thing at a time to properly determine what fixed it. Here's the order I'd do it:

1. Replace fuel filter, and drive truck
2. clean MAF, and drive truck
3. replace MAF, and drive truck
4. replace PCV valve, and drive truck

I believe to properly clear codes, you must disconnect the battery for a few minutes.

Thank you for the advice. Can't my code scanner delete codes too? I will do exactly this. Should I clear codes after each thing?

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. Can't my code scanner delete codes too? I will do exactly this. Should I clear codes after each thing?

You're welcome. Not sure about the scanner since I've never used one. Wouldn't be a bad idea to clear codes after each step, just so you can determine exactly what is throwing the codes (and if certain codes are tied to certain items/problems).

OP
OP
C

CoupleOnTheRoad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Status
Changed fuel filter, cleaned mass air sensor and throttle body, and changed air filter.

Ran like a charm!!!!!!

Erased codes. Received this on scanner: 0DTC
Not sure what that means. I'll drive more tomorrow and check codes again.
But I think I fixed it!

Thank you everyone for your help

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Status
Changed fuel filter, cleaned mass air sensor and throttle body, and changed air filter.

Ran like a charm!!!!!!

But I think I fixed it!

That's good news. Which one of them was causing the issue?

PlazaEJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Status

Ran like a charm!!!!!!

But I think I fixed it!

0DTC = Zero Diagnostic Trouble Codes

You have no codes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithMO