newb questions about 95 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stykthyn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just drove a 95 yukon yesterday and I have a few questions. This is the first GM full size truck I have ever driven.

When the vehicle was going into and out of 4low it would grind. This was while it was in neutral and parked on a flat surface, and I literally had to force the lever into and out of position. 4-hi was smooth as silk.

Second the brakes felt very mushy. Could this just mean that it needs the lines bled? It stopped fine, but I felt I had to stand on them in order to do so.

I am currently driving an 05 ram and maybe its the dual piston calipers, but it stops fairly quicly for a 6k lb vehicle.

The tahoe is a potential purchase and I am just looking for info before I start haggling or even decide to buy.

josetizapan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

The grind could mean that the tranfercase motor is shot and that not a cheap fix.

Not sure what to tell you bout the breaks.

josetizapan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should feel the same on all gears but now that i read you're post again it might be different for the lever type then the push button type, but anything that grinds that has to do with the transfercase or the tranny is not good at all.

josetizapan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you plan to buy it i will suggest to get it checked by a tranny shop and they will be able to tell you if thats normal but i dont think it is.

drod1977

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i also have a 95 tahoe, anyway im far from a mechanic but any grinding into 4wd is no good.

TheBeast99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well with my 99 back in December, the one time i put it in 4Lo it grinded too. freaked me out so i quickly put it back in 2wd.
4wd auto and 4Hi work nice and smoothly, so oh well. i'm fine with that.
4Lo you can only go like, what, a max of 25-30mph? so i don't care if i can or can't use it :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700