New vehicle recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Themadangler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First post I beileve but long time lurker. Current vehicle: 2014 suburbal lt 2wd. 104,000. It wasnt a daily driver bit a 3 vehicle. Used primarily for road trips and hauling the family/extended family around. Recently became my wifes daily driver( no more company car) Shes ready to upgrade to a newer 21,22,or 23 full size. Either surburban, escalade or yukon xl denali. My question for the group is which do you recommend and why? Which engine should I look to have/avoid and why? Ive noticed that many of is CPO vehicles ive seen online are missing steering lock and parking sensors, whats that all about? Covid suppy issues still? Heard about engine issues with 22's I believe, is that 5.3 liter only? I hate the active fuel management on the current and assume its still a feature on newer vehicles as well. Just looking for some guidance as we plan to keep the new vehicle about 10 years also. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, XL or short body choice just depends on how bog a family or if you have a hobby that requires long body style.

I’d buy a 6.2L if it did not require premium gas and to get it you’re into the higher trim levels. not avail on SLE or SLT or Tahoe lower trims.

Both gas engines are pretty similair in design. like anything you’ll find issues, most prone was 2021.

Diesel 3.0L not as much power but better fuel economy. revised version on the way possibly for the Yukon and no DFM/AFM

Some items are deferred install items, like seat cooling fans, park sensors ect. most of it will be installed soon as supply chain is catching up.

DFM still installed on 5.3 and 6.2 still sucks the big one. you may find the odd one out there without it as for a short time they build them without it in 21 and 22
But…Range technology close to having the DFM disabler for 22 and 23 models. yippiaajyeee

Last edited:

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The premium gas is a concern, but I do run at least mid grade in our 5.3 and Sams Club usually has premium for the same price as mid grade - so I fill up there when I'm in the neighborhood.

01dailey

Reaction score
I have the 2021 Yukon Denali 4x4 6.2L and love it. I've been a bit nervous reading about all of the issues with these vehicles, especially the Active Fuel Management, but in over two years I haven't had a single problem or complaint with mine and my local dealership treats me right. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though. As far as the 6.2L engine and the cost of premium gas, I'm retired and no longer commute to work every day. I don't drive as much as I used to, but when I do, I'm going to enjoy it. I love the performance of the 6.2

If I'm not mistaken, these four vehicles you mention come out of the same plant and are almost identical with slightly different body style/trim and inside detail. Same engine choices, transmission, etc. Same chassis ? Buy which ever one that appeals to you or that fits your budget. Keep in mind that the other auto manufacturers have lots of issues too.

OP
OP
T

Themadangler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, XL or short body choice just depends on how bog a family or if you have a hobby that requires long body style.

I’d buy a 6.2L if it did not require premium gas and to get it you’re into the higher trim levels. not avail on SLE or SLT or Tahoe lower trims.

Both gas engines are pretty similair in design. like anything you’ll find issues, most prone was 2021.

Diesel 3.0L not as much power but better fuel economy. revised version on the way possibly for the Yukon and no DFM/AFM

Some items are deferred install items, like seat cooling fans, park sensors ect. most of it will be installed soon as supply chain is catching up.

DFM still installed on 5.3 and 6.2 still sucks the big one. you may find the odd one out there without it as for a short time they build them without it in 21 and 22
But…Range technology close to having the DFM disabler for 22 and 23 models. yippiaajyeee
Thank you for the feedback. Definitely want the longer length subruban/xl version. Didn't consider the diesel or realize premium was the recommended gas for the 6.2. More to think about.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I see so many horror story’s with the new rigs I’d personally be scared to own anything over a 14-15 as 07-15 had enough issues on their own!
But even with their issues my 07 has over 300,000 miles and is still trucking
But see posts every day of 21-22s with
8-10,000 miles if even with blown motors and other issues but mainly the lifters from what I’ve seen
But if you got the money a good ole DOD delete would solve that issue

I just couldn’t fathom spending the money on one to put even more money in it just so it wouldn’t blow up on itself

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see so many horror story’s with the new rigs I’d personally be scared to own anything over a 14-15 as 07-15 had enough issues on their own!
But even with their issues my 07 has over 300,000 miles and is still trucking
But see posts every day of 21-22s with
8-10,000 miles if even with blown motors and other issues but mainly the lifters from what I’ve seen
But if you got the money a good ole DOD delete would solve that issue

I just couldn’t fathom spending the money on one to put even more money in it just so it wouldn’t blow up on itself
You must not be paying attention to the other sub forums. The 21+ have way less issues and is largely dead.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Get the longer body version (Suburban or Yukon XL), and you will not regret it.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watched this video yesterday, guy drove 4 Silverado's that were pretty similarly equipped w/ all four of the offered engines 2.4L turbo 4 cyl, 5.3l V8, 3.0L DuraMax, and 6.2L V8.

Which Silverado Engine Is Best? Let's Find Out!

Is not very scientific, but interesting to see his reaction.

I had the 5.3 in my 2013 and never really complained; until I got the 6.2 in my 2022 Denali...lets just say its pretty fun.

Premium is the one thing I find a bit annoying, but fortunately, Costco is 0.5mi from where I work, so I just fill it up there...their premium usually runs about $0.20/gal more than the regular at the rest of the stations in town.

It's worth it for the smile factor for me...if Fuel Economy is your #1, get the Duramax. I know 2 guys who have Silverados, one with the 5.3, the other w/ the 6.2; their highway MPG's are about 0.75-1 MPG different; in town are almost identical.

I have gotten as high as 22MPG for a road trip if I keep it sane, if am on an interstate where the traffic is moving 75-80mph, its pretty steady at 18.x.

As for Escalade vs Denali vs Suburban...just do your homework...

I ended up on the Denali, as it was a bit more bang for the buck, without breaking the bank on the Escalade. Also, maybe ask your insurance agent about costs to insure each; Escalade was about 2x what the Denali is for me...your mileage may vary. Here is a motor trend article from 2021 saying the Denali is the "Value Play"

There is a thread on here where there was quite a discussion about the differences in the Suburban and the Yukon. There are definitely some hidden things in there that are not obvious. Ex: Fog Lights not on the Suburban, Suburban does not have laminated front door glass (quietness), interior differences, inclusion of 3 years of connected services on the GMC, 1 month on the chevy, etc...

See Here --> https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/real-differences-between-yukon-and-tahoe.138591/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157