New to me 2004 Tahoe: help with keyless entry remotes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flomaster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I picked up a 04 LT with 120K for $7595. after reading the Manual and playing with Driver 1 and Driver 2 Settings I noticed the Oem clickers Were numbered 1 and 2. My truck only came with one aftermarket clicker.
This Clicker Locks and Unlocks the truck but the horn doesn't Sound despite having both driver 1 and 2 set to "both". I'm thinking of getting two new clickers, but what ones to buy? Used OEM, or aftermarket. If I go with aftermarket how can have them work with the driver 1 and 2 memory settings .

Will just programing two clickers work the same as OEM Clickers. is the first Clicker always Driver 1 and the second one programed Driver 2?

Could the aftermarket Clicker be the reason the horn doesn't Sound?

Thanks for using the time to read this.

-=Jason=-

Monkeyman

Reaction score
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 2 stock remotes are different colors (black and gray) to differentiate between Driver 1 and Driver 2. I don't know how aftermarket remotes would differentiate between the 2.

Izcain

Reaction score
So if I'm understanding you correctly your saying you only have one clicker?

In the settings with the dic you can set it to activate with lights only or with lights and a horn sound, you can set this to be on unlock or lock or both.

If the key fob will lock and unlock the truck it should sound the horn once you go into the settings and change that. If you purchase another key fob you will need to program all fobs to the truck again for both to work. The first one you program to the rig will automatically label it as one regardless of what the fob says.

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 2 stock remotes are different colors (black and gray) to differentiate between Driver 1 and Driver 2. I don't know how aftermarket remotes would differentiate between the 2.

On my '04 YUKON, both remotes are black. However, they are labeled on the backside as "1" and "2".

OP
OP
Flomaster

Flomaster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so the first remote will be 1 and the second will be 2. Regardless if it's a factory oem or aftermarket. The only difference is color or marked 1 or 2. The internals are the same.

I have changed the. Dic setting for driver 1 and 2 to "both" yet the horn doesn't sound. The only clicker I have does trigger the emergency alarm though. I am not sure this is remote related or some electrical problem worth the truck.

Either way I'm super stoked to have this instead of my 1997 Toyota 4runner

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
Ok so the first remote will be 1 and the second will be 2. Regardless if it's a factory oem or aftermarket. The only difference is color or marked 1 or 2. The internals are the same.

I have changed the. Dic setting for driver 1 and 2 to "both" yet the horn doesn't sound. The only clicker I have does trigger the emergency alarm though. I am not sure this is remote related or some electrical problem worth the truck.

Either way I'm super stoked to have this instead of my 1997 Toyota 4runner

had a 4runner 3rd gen also. was a great truck off road but im on the road 99% of the time so the tahoe wins in the end in my eyes. Also the fact that it has a timing chain is a huge plus. Im on my second tahoe, i learned to really love these trucks! anyway welcome to the forum bud.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one off eBay for about $20 because my truck came with none. Works perfect.

OP
OP
Flomaster

Flomaster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cool. I'll buy the ones from amazon 2 for $36 I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali