New to me 13 PPV electrical hiccup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoldTrueGraphics

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve been a lurker for a while as I researched tahoes/Yukons as our next vehicle and finally landed on a 2013 Tahoe PPV. Picked it up for 9k with 140k and a list of recent maintenance the previous owner had performed. The PO was a volunteer with our local Sheriffs Office and managed to keep the lighting, sirens, etc during his ownership. Before selling to me they were all disabled.

Now here’s my problem, we’ve had the vehicle for about a month with no issues, then the other morning we went to start the truck and it was dead, but the radio, aftermarket XM radio and aftermarket GPS all came on. Hooked a jump box to it and it started immediately and started up fine the rest of the day. I thought maybe something was left on overnight and killed the battery. The next morning…it happened again. And this morning…again. So I’m assuming there’s a parasitic draw killing it overnight. Any advice or knowledge on what can actually been unhooked from the batteries? I believe the PO may have just “cut” the wires running to all the PPV-related accessories and something is shorting out and drawing power? Any advice/knowledge/recommendations would be great!

IMG_5461.jpeg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been a lurker for a while as I researched tahoes/Yukons as our next vehicle and finally landed on a 2013 Tahoe PPV. Picked it up for 9k with 140k and a list of recent maintenance the previous owner had performed. The PO was a volunteer with our local Sheriffs Office and managed to keep the lighting, sirens, etc during his ownership. Before selling to me they were all disabled.

Now here’s my problem, we’ve had the vehicle for about a month with no issues, then the other morning we went to start the truck and it was dead, but the radio, aftermarket XM radio and aftermarket GPS all came on. Hooked a jump box to it and it started immediately and started up fine the rest of the day. I thought maybe something was left on overnight and killed the battery. The next morning…it happened again. And this morning…again. So I’m assuming there’s a parasitic draw killing it overnight. Any advice or knowledge on what can actually been unhooked from the batteries? I believe the PO may have just “cut” the wires running to all the PPV-related accessories and something is shorting out and drawing power? Any advice/knowledge/recommendations would be great!

View attachment 406062
first check the battery cables and have the battery load tested
then if that is ok, verify the alternator is working properly
then move on to doing a draw test.
could litterally be anything but you need to start with the basics first to rule out common things

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 406062
Does it stIll have two batteries? One battery may have dead cells, and it’s drain the other. I had that happen on one of my PPVs.

OP
OP
H

HoldTrueGraphics

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does it stIll have two batteries? One battery may have dead cells, and it’s drain the other. I had that happen on one of my PPVs.
It does, yesterday morning my wife jumped it off and she said it made a revving noise but the RPMs didn’t rise? So I went ahead and bought a new battery for it, replaced the front battery and as soon as I hooked up the cables, the secondary (rear) battery emitted a rotten egg smell and kind of hissing. Nothing was on, no key or anything. Is this normal for a dead battery or is it a deeper issue?

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does, yesterday morning my wife jumped it off and she said it made a revving noise but the RPMs didn’t rise? So I went ahead and bought a new battery for it, replaced the front battery and as soon as I hooked up the cables, the secondary (rear) battery emitted a rotten egg smell and kind of hissing. Nothing was on, no key or anything. Is this normal for a dead battery or is it a deeper issue?
The rear battery is actually the primary in a 2013. Try pulling the negative off of it. I bet the hssing/smell goes away. I had the same thing on my 2013 PPV.

AvnMedic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New here, found this thread after having electrical issues with a newly purchased 2013 SSV. If anyone could clarify the location of this Rear Battery it would be appreciated. If there is indeed a hidden battery in the cargo compartment that is actually primary that would explain a lot. Thanks, Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019