New to forum question re:mpg 4.8 vs. 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gecko

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the process of looking for a 2005-2006 Tahoe to purchase. I was wondering how great the difference is for mpg with 4.8 and 5.3 engines. I've read both, that the 5.3 gets better mileage and that they are pretty equal. So, based on experience with this, what's the realworld mpg for these two engines.

Thanks, Looking forward to getting busy with my search, love this vehicle

OP
OP
G

gecko

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How I drive...

Hubby says I drive like an ole school marm... but I think I feel abit uncomfortable in my current vehicle...2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara. I used to have a GMC 2500HD pick up and I felt safe, and could see much better due to being up higher. Sold pick up due to diesel prices out here in PA and because it didn't have 4WD. After driving the Suzuki for awhile, I think I would have done better to keep the truck and throw some Blizzard snow tires on her... live and learn. I've learned I'm a big vehicle junkie:)

All the info on the net, reviews by "experts" etc can really confuse you.

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might as well get the 5.3. People don't buy Tahoes for the gas mileage. ;)

OP
OP
G

gecko

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

5.3 is my preference. It seems they are harder to find with the lower mileage we're lookin for. They are around 72,000 vs. 45,000 for the 4.8. How long do these vehicles keep on tickin?? 200,000 or more? I'm anxious to get it, so I don't know if I can hold out for the 5.3. Hubby REALLY likes the Z71... a bit more, but probley worth every penny

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5.3 is my preference. It seems they are harder to find with the lower mileage we're lookin for. They are around 72,000 vs. 45,000 for the 4.8. How long do these vehicles keep on tickin?? 200,000 or more? I'm anxious to get it, so I don't know if I can hold out for the 5.3. Hubby REALLY likes the Z71... a bit more, but probley worth every penny

Engines will last forever. You'll probably end up rebuilding the trans before 200K though.

However, there are always exceptions. There is at least one person on here with 300K on the original motor and tranny.

Effeckt

Resident Cards Fan
Reaction score
Engines will last forever. You'll probably end up rebuilding the trans before 200K though.

However, there are always exceptions. There is at least one person on here with 300K on the original motor and tranny.

Yuke is right. I have a friend who even made it to 350k on the stock motor by keeping up on his maintenance regularly. The transmissions are known to go between 150k - 200k usually though.

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

jdpromo33

Proud Tahoe Owner
Reaction score

Yup I too have the 5.3 and got it with 60K miles and as stated, people dont really buy Hoe's for their gas mileage. Some mods will help you improve the mileage and performance
I also prefer the trim on the LT with leather seats and my truck is fully loaded with all the extras.

I love the truck it has everything I want and drives like a true V8 Truck.

Enjoy whatever you get though

badtothe bone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buying a 5.3 and then complaining about the gas mileage is like buying a Clydesdale and then complaining about the feed bill.

The larger engine with more horsepower will probably get better mileage then the smaller engine because the smaller engine is going to have to work harder to move the vehicle.

I too live in Pennsylvania and it is all up hills and down hills around here.

I just got rid of the last 02 Avalanche and I put my first transmission in it at 75,000 miles. It went through 3 before I paid several thousand dollars to have one professionally built for me.

I would be just as concerned about if the door window regulators were changed as I would about what size engine it has. You might get $200 each into changing the door window regulators and when one goes the others are not that far behind.

The same with the door handles. When the door handles goes bad, you are going to spend a pile of money to replace them, by the time you take them out and switch out the locks and paint them and put them back on.

rigo_jones

going against
Reaction score
my suburban 5.3 had about 260k i think i never had a problem with it. my tahoe z71 about 140kish maybe less but no problems except i got a check engine light for some emission thing i cant remember. if i sell the tahoe im getting a silverado crew cab. i dont know about the door handles and window regulators i never had a problem with it. transmissions do seem to go out 1st.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyC

Latest posts