New owner, driving on sand AWD questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sand is tricky, I believe the AWD trucks came without a rear locker or LSD so that's kinda a downside but you should be fine if you get an AT tire and not an MT which is more likely to dig and sink in the sand. If you do have trouble stop before you dig and let the air out of the tires, try 20psi then as low as 12-15 if you have to. Keeping a cheap 12v pump handy will make filling back up simple and problem-free.

Always remember with sand you want to float over it with consistent and steady speed, stopping is what will get you.
I agree 100% on the psi makes a world of a difference, found that out! Jumping and digging is rough.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Read the manual. It’s online if you do not have the physical one.

If you DO have traction control I wouldn’t be pulling any fuses out to kill it. TC equipped vehicles will have a TC off button you can use to disable the power reduction feature and allow plenty of wheel spin.
If you disable it completely by cutting power you lose the BLD function that brakes a spinning wheel to transfer power to the wheels with traction.

Buggdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I didn't seem to get lucky with the G80 option and I dont know if it actually has stabilitrak?..
It looks like 2006 Denali's came standard with StabiliTrak. I found the Dealer Brochure for 2006 GMC Yukon for your reading pleasure :). Oddly enough it looks like the G80 was no longer standard equipment for the Denali package in the later years. From information I have found, the StabiliTrak uses the brakes to control wheel slip. From the owner manual, you can turn this system on and off by the Stabilitrak button.
1633401383592.png

1633400673066.png

Attachments

• 2006-GMC-Yukon-CN.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

RedInCo

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Yukon Denali with AWD. The build sheet shows the G80 locking rear differential. My understanding is that the transfer case has an open (non-locking) differential, and the front diff is also non-locking.

I've never attempted sand, but I've pulled a 6,000 pound trailer up a significant rise through six inches of unplowed snow, with all-season tires. No drama, no wheelspin.

I don't do rock crawling, but when I get into the boonies, I run out of ground clearance before I run out of traction.

davidr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok. I have a 2014 Denali with AWD. I have the same tires you are considering and have a simple leveling kit on mine. AWD is NOT true 4WD. (Gear ratios, driveline component configs, etc…. I won’t digress here because it simply doesn’t not matter for your info needs). I would not have purchased a AWD model but was in a situation where I needed something and got a tremendous deal, so…

I drive in OBX sand quite a bit. Sand can be tricky as others have mentioned due to sand conditions and need to adjust driving habits, etc. Here is what I do, EVERY TIME (don’t be lazy or forget…):

1. AIR DOWN to 18psi (surface area is your friend on sand)
2. Push the button to disable Stabilitrack AND traction control.
3. Drive in existing ruts vs. trying to be a jeep
4. Use buddy system (go with friends)
5. Have a 20k lb tow strap, shovels, traction mats, fire extinguisher in a bag.
6. Carry a $100 in $20s just in case. Most people are nice enough to help but I like to offer $$ for their time any way.
7. After all those things, I assess the sand and weather conditions. If sand is blowing (dry) and there is no compaction, I don’t go with family but will go with my buddies. (More likely to get stuck)
8. If I go, I drive straight lines, in the ruts, no quick turns and maintain steady practical speeds.… (not a race, just keep her moving forward without spinning wheels too much)

Do this and you should be fine. The real variable is your driving experience on sand. I have been doing it a fair bit over many decades and still think I’m a nubb at it…

Hope this helps.

jqwiii00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I finally found a lower mile family hauler but didn't quite do all my research..2006 Yukon XL Denali. Plan is to use it for camping and beach trips. After realizing this doesn't have a "true" 4wd system I'm starting to wonder if this will work or leave me stuck in the sand. For those of you who have had both systems is the AWD still decent? Plan is to put on 285/70/17 tires and finish off my front lift. So far did the Moog HD coils and KYB monomax shocks as the air ride had issues.

Thanks for and suggestions
I'm not familiar with their AWD system but it won't have Low Range. The question is does it go into 2 wheel drive on its on and if so at what speed. Tip on driving on sand. Tire pressure is everything. If you lose momentum don't spin your wheels! Let the tire pressure way down. 10# will almost always work. So carry a battery power compressor.

easymoney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I finally found a lower mile family hauler but didn't quite do all my research..2006 Yukon XL Denali. Plan is to use it for camping and beach trips. After realizing this doesn't have a "true" 4wd system I'm starting to wonder if this will work or leave me stuck in the sand. For those of you who have had both systems is the AWD still decent? Plan is to put on 285/70/17 tires and finish off my front lift. So far did the Moog HD coils and KYB monomax shocks as the air ride had issues.

Thanks for and suggestions
You will likely never have to have low range. These vehicles plenty of torque to grt you rolling. The wide tires will help also. I doubt a locker will help like it does on ice and mud where the road could have grip on some places but slippery on others. Sand is usually very consistent and very deep so left side of vehicle is the same as the right side so doubt a locker helps…where sand is closer to the water its usually harder to sink where it is really dry could be less dense and easier to sink. You could always take a few 2x6 boards to put under the wheel if you get stuck and need to jack it up

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with their AWD system but it won't have Low Range. The question is does it go into 2 wheel drive on its on and if so at what speed. Tip on driving on sand. Tire pressure is everything. If you lose momentum don't spin your wheels! Let the tire pressure way down. 10# will almost always work. So carry a battery power compressor.
I think when one of the rear wheels slips the absolute littlest bit the transfer case sends power to the front and when wheel speeds go back to ‘steady’ not slipping it stops giving the front power. Kind of like ‘auto 4WD’ in chevys with that transfer case where you have auto high & low

Last edited:

Spoolin

Reaction score
Buggdave, and anyone who could help,

What are the odds of finding the Tahoe brochure like that Yukon one? I’d like to read up on the 06 Z-71

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9