New owner, driving on sand AWD questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06XLDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I finally found a lower mile family hauler but didn't quite do all my research..2006 Yukon XL Denali. Plan is to use it for camping and beach trips. After realizing this doesn't have a "true" 4wd system I'm starting to wonder if this will work or leave me stuck in the sand. For those of you who have had both systems is the AWD still decent? Plan is to put on 285/70/17 tires and finish off my front lift. So far did the Moog HD coils and KYB monomax shocks as the air ride had issues.

Thanks for and suggestions

Attachments

• 20210928_163335.jpg
    20210928_163335.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210928_163242.jpg
    20210928_163242.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 11

M123

Viking
Reaction score
Hi. Now I really don't understand what you are saying, can be my lacking skills in English... But doesn't you as everyone have the same system that you can put it in 4wd mode and 4wd low?

If so are my advice, if you are not sure if AWD will keep you going, take the safety first and go 4wd. AWD have some lagging before it grip.

If not so do I hope someone else can give some more professional advice then my input.

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on gm’s but my grand Cherokee that had awd was awesome in all situations, it was Quadra drive though which has LSD’s front & back, miss that suv..

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

I cannot personally help you with your question, as I have never driven on the beach with my truck; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sand is tricky, I believe the AWD trucks came without a rear locker or LSD so that's kinda a downside but you should be fine if you get an AT tire and not an MT which is more likely to dig and sink in the sand. If you do have trouble stop before you dig and let the air out of the tires, try 20psi then as low as 12-15 if you have to. Keeping a cheap 12v pump handy will make filling back up simple and problem-free.

Always remember with sand you want to float over it with consistent and steady speed, stopping is what will get you.

OP
OP

06XLDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. Now I really don't understand what you are saying, can be my lacking skills in English... But doesn't you as everyone have the same system that you can put it in 4wd mode and 4wd low?

If so are my advice, if you are not sure if AWD will keep you going, take the safety first and go 4wd. AWD have some lagging before it grip.

If not so do I hope someone else can give some more professional advice then my input.
The Denali and Escalade has AWD, so it doesn't have buttons to switch from 2wd to 4hi 4lo..I guess I need to read up on how my system works to take advantage. I have heard of pulling the ABS fuse to disable Stabilitrak and TC to help keep the wheels spinning. To be safe I may invest in those special MaxTrax or Go Tread in case no one is around to pull me out.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to learn how to drive on sand, like Dantheman said. On both of my 4WD vehicles I would deflate the tires to 12 PSI, thus flatting out the tread or "FootPrint" which allows for more grip. And you need to keep it straight and slow, especially in loose sand. Wet sand is easy to drive on, but the dry, loose sand is very tricky. If you're going to turn you need to do it very slowly, no sudden or jerky movements. It takes a while to learn but once you get the hang of it...it's apiece of cake. Unfortunately my friend, with the lifted Toyota with the Mickey Thompson 44s NEVER got the hang of it. Me and my Ford Bronco II 4X4 4WD pulled him out of so many soft sands it was pathetic. We were camping and this guy wakes me up at 3am to help pull his ride out of the sand. It was buried past the axles! He just keep spinning the tires until he literally buried it in the sand. I told him that I would be back later that morning to help him out. I went back to sleep. He ended up digging it out and leaving a humongous hole in beach. He never learned, but I hope you do and take our "lessons learned" and advice to heart. Take it slow and it'll be fine.

Buggdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Denali that does not have the stabilitrac/traction control system, but I travel through gravel/loose scree & Snow with no issues. I Have the G80
(locking rear differential) stock in my Denali that makes a big difference in loose road material. These trucks have Full Time AWD and is similar to 4WD-HI, see the attached tech write-up from GM. The only downfall is no 4WD-LO, though technically I have not been in a situation where I needed it yet and I have abused my Denali and have taken it to areas where i should not take it, like Moab Utah's Fins & Things trail.

Attachments

• TL_Jan03.pdf
    713.1 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP

06XLDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Denali that does not have the stabilitrac/traction control system, but I travel through gravel/loose scree & Snow with no issues. I Have the G80
(locking rear differential) stock in my Denali that makes a big difference in loose road material. These trucks have Full Time AWD and is similar to 4WD-HI, see the attached tech write-up from GM. The only downfall is no 4WD-LO, though technically I have not been in a situation where I needed it yet and I have abused my Denali and have taken it to areas where i should not take it, like Moab Utah's Fins & Things trail.
Ya I didn't seem to get lucky with the G80 option and I dont know if it actually has stabilitrak?..

Attachments

• 20211004_153932.jpg
    20211004_153932.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211004_153749.jpg
    20211004_153749.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211004_153728.jpg
    20211004_153728.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 10

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I didn't seem to get lucky with the G80 option and I dont know if it actually has stabilitrak?..
That seems like a traction control button atleast, I think if there is stibilitrak there’s some way weird to disable it. My 01 does not have g80 traction control or stibilitrak and goes through a lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE